• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

petting

jack000

Junior Guinea Pig
so i want to pet my guinea pig and i was wondering how long i need to pet him for so he will be alright and should i force him or should i let him when he ready? and on that note how can i get him used to my touch and in a way were he wont hate me.

Skypipdot

Adult Guinea Pig
Let him get used to sounds of your activities in your house, like doors closing, hoovering, walking and stuff like that, offer food at the cage and dont stand, try and crouch down to look less threatening. And make sure he has a hidey house in his cage, so that he feels he has somewhere to hide when scared. New pigs will hide all the time, and eat when your not looking

Guineapigfeet

Forum Donator 2016/17
It can be a long process. They are hard-wired to run away from predators (us) and will each have their own personalities. My girls are three now and only one of them will reliably let me stroke her when she’s loose. One is a hit and miss and the other is a no-no. But they will now all ‘ask’ to be picked up if they want to be moved some where different! They all get handled, whether they like it or not as they need to have their nails trimmed and two of them need brushing but I try to do it as calmly and quickly as possible whilst making sure their mouths are full of tasty noms!