Picking & holding piggys

Sazbell

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello
I've had our baby piggies for 7 weeks now. They are 16 weeks.
I still can't pick up and hold them. I spend alot of time talking and sitting in the hutch. They get excited when they hear me. They are just so jumpy I can't get them and I'm nervous if honest.
They are happy I just worry will I ever be able to pick them up?
The white one was so friendly and the black one was very nervous. Now the black one let's me feed him, he even went to bite me today as come that close when putting there food down. But white one got scared now.
Still very new to this. Advice appreciated.

Attachments

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Most never get used to being picked up as it triggers their prey instinct. Try and use something to pick them up. Either a cuddle sack or box or tunnel. You can herd them into one then pick them up. Some on here use a carrier to transfer them from cage to run etc.

Have you been weighing them weekly? Also be aware they won’t necessarily like being held.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
:agr:
Trying to pick them up directly from their cage will scare most piggies. My piggies have got used to what the carrier means - being put out into their run - and they now just walk straight into the carried when I put it into their cage. I then pick them up out of the carrier, carry out daily health checks and then pop them into their run to play. They do not like being held though so the checks are done quickly and safely and with minimal stress, they will not tolerate being held for cuddles though

How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig Safely

Sazbell

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Most never get used to being picked up as it triggers their prey instinct. Try and use something to pick them up. Either a cuddle sack or box or tunnel. You can herd them into one then pick them up. Some on here use a carrier to transfer them from cage to run etc.

Have you been weighing them weekly? Also be aware they won’t necessarily like being held.
Yes I use a carrier. I haven't been weighing them as they are to jumpy so I can't get a true reading.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
You can use something like a biscuit tin to sit them in while you weigh them. You could also hover your hand over the top while they’re sitting in it.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Yes I use a carrier. I haven't been weighing them as they are to jumpy so I can't get a true reading.
Do start trying to weigh them. even if you can’t get a completely accurate reading the first few times, then it will hopefully be close enough for a guide but also you have to start somewhere in getting them used to it. Offering them a sprig of coriander while they are on the scale will hopefully get them to stay still just long enough to get a reading

Sazbell

New Born Pup
Reaction score
You can use something like a biscuit tin to sit them in while you weigh them. You could also hover your hand over the top while they’re sitting in it.
Fab I do it today. What should they weigh at 16 weeks?

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Fab I do it today. What should they weigh at 16 weeks?
There is no set weight. They all gain weight in their own time and all have different adult weights. As long as they gain, then they’re are doing well. Also check their heft. You should be able to just feel their ribs - heft is a better indicator of whether they are good size for themselves rather than weight
Weight - Monitoring and Management