• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

picking up my guinea pig

raynarem

New Born Pup
Reaction score
for about the first week or so after i bought my guinea pig, he was totally fine with me picking him up. my sister and mom even would come in my room and hold him through out the day. i could just reach in his cage and grab him with no troubles, but now he runs away. my mom and i take like 10 minutes just to be able to pick him up, usually having up get him in his upside down igloo then pick him up from there. i know it’s normal for them to run away when trying to be picked up, but why the change? i don’t understand why now he runs whenever he used to not to, and i feel like it should be the other way around. maybe it’s normal but i’m just worried i might have done something wrong, please help if you can!

Maybe just give him a little time to settle into his new home, thats probably what he needs. Also, have you ever coniddered getting him a companion?

I'm thinking he probably let you pick him up in the past because he was so scared he would just freeze. Now that he is more used to you guys, he feels more comfortable to express his displeasure! But I'm sure as you do it more, he will start to enjoy being held. Try to do it in the least stressful way possible like how you were doing the upside down pigloo method. That way he will not associate being held with a stressful chase.

for about the first week or so after i bought my guinea pig, he was totally fine with me picking him up. my sister and mom even would come in my room and hold him through out the day. i could just reach in his cage and grab him with no troubles, but now he runs away. my mom and i take like 10 minutes just to be able to pick him up, usually having up get him in his upside down igloo then pick him up from there. i know it’s normal for them to run away when trying to be picked up, but why the change? i don’t understand why now he runs whenever he used to not to, and i feel like it should be the other way around. maybe it’s normal but i’m just worried i might have done something wrong, please help if you can!

Hi and welcome

You are now in the phase where new owners typically ask "Why does my piggy suddenly hate me?"
Your little single piggy has simply stopped being literally frozen with fear; it is now running away.

It has all to do with how guinea pig prey animal instincts work. Guinea pigs are a ground roaming social species of prey animals that live in groups and that have their society and social needs. They are NOT instant animated cuddly toys! They also very much need the company of their own kind as they are wired to be on their own. The single most loving gift you can ever make a guinea pig is getting them a same sex companion of their own kind.
Sadly 15 years on, Switzerland is still the only country where it is forbidden by law to keep an sell any group species as singles.
And this even though two guinea pigs need the same ground space to move around and keep healthy as a single one and keeping two doesn't cost a lot more to feed or makes more mess... But companionship next to space to exhibit natural behaviour and a good hay based balanaced diet is really vital for their physical and mental health and wellbeing; and it really makes a difference in their overall health and life expectancy. Sadly pet shops are still happily selling singly piggies in tiny cages in order to secure repeat custom without any regard to animal welfare as long as they are not forced to by law. :(

Please read the links below and also ask you mother to do so; you will find them very helpful and interesting as they explain your experiences and how you can work around prey animal instincts.
What to check and look out for in new guinea pigs (vet checks, sexing, parasites&illness)
Arrival in a home from the perspective of pet shop guinea pigs
How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig Safely
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Cage Size Guide
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

Please also ask your mother to save up for a vet fund as an integral part of the weekly/monthly maintenance cost so you can afford vet care at any time. Illness and emergencies in small animals cannot wait for days for your convenience. Seeing a pet in your care suffer needlessly is one of the worst experiences you can ever have.

All these guides and many more practical and helpful ones that are addressing all the areas we get the most questions and worries by new owners about can be found via this link.
Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides

PS: Please be aware that according to new strict EU and US online protection regulation you need to be over 16 years old before you can join our forum, which is a public space. If you are younger, your mother or legal guardian will have join in your stead to access our support. As a public space can be held accountable and be forced to close down because of members breaking the law by lying about their age when they join, and we have to automatically ban every member we find doing so. We'd rather keep going as we are to help more owners and their guinea pigs!

Last edited:
Back