• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Picking up Scarby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucinda

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Since his cancer and, even more, since the subsequent abscess, Scarby is very reluctant to come out. He runs away from me, reverses through the tunnel, jumps onto the others etc all to avoid my grabbing him! When he is out (and he knows he is not going to have his tummy squeezes, cut or prodded) he seems fine.

aww I don't know how much you have had to do to him Lucinda but sometimes, I have heard, a pig who was not especially shy before can be a bit reluctant to come out after having had a long period of medicine and unpleasant type things. I think you probably need to go back to basics, like you would with a new or nervous piggy. Try rewarding him everytime he does come out with you with a little treat. Food is the no 1 way to a piggys heart as we all know! I am sure Scarby will soon begin to associate you with nice things again.

Treats is a good idea. Once I'm holding him he is fine and happy to cuddle up singing and singing like the old Scarby. I am just frightened he'll hurt himself trying to escape!

Lucinda, Kate is away at Thistle till thursday, but she has lots of experience with frightened or unsocialized pigs ( which I know Scarby isn`t) she could give you some tips I`m sure. Paddy and Murphy were really scared of being picked up and handled when they came to Kate and you saw how sociable they are now :)

Thanks, I could text her when she gets back. Having said that i think things are a little better now ;D, expecially as his mouth is also improving.

Aw, poor Paddy and Murphy. They are so gorgeous. I never got the chance to cuddle them, and I did so want to. Have to drop in at Debbie's I think ;D

I'm back now so give me a shout if you do want any help!

I have a very wild pig on foster now so we can share experiences!

Thanks Kate!
So far, so good. Scarby seems to be re-gaining confidence, and I am also bribing him with treats ;D

Let's hear more about the Wild Pig of Erdington.

The wild pig of Erdington - I like that!

He is a little satin boar - about 3 months old I would say and as wild as they come! I am scratched all over from him - very attractive for starting back to work on Monday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back