• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Picking up

LillyB

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi
Does anyone have any tips for the best way to pick up my new piggies? We had to clean out their cage last night as we discovered poo pellets hidden everywhere, even in their hideaway and they were starting to lay in them! Trying to pick the piggies up to put them in a run while we did it was a nightmare.....they ran round the cage squeaking (i didn't realise they can run so fast!) I was so scared we were going to hurt them!
We did it eventually and they sulked while we cleaned out their cage! Is there a best way to move them without causing them to stress more than they need to? They are only 8 weeks old, so everything is very new to them at the moment.
Thankyou 😃

Attachments

• Collage 2020-06-30 21_12_36.jpg
    Collage 2020-06-30 21_12_36.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 5
Thats great, thankyou so much 😁 Thanks for the link - that's really helpful 😃
It was a moment I was dreading as obviously dont want to scare or hurt them. Will try these tips next time x x

Herding then into a Carrier of some sort is easiest to pick them up. I use a cat carrier because then I can pick both of them up at the same time and keep them together rather than only managing to get one at a time.
I wouldn’t try to pick them up from the cage, it’ll be seen to me as they are under attack and their prey instinct will Be panic and to run

Yes I use a pet carrier - at first I put little veg pieces in to entice them and now they are happy going in together - also makes it easier if you are travelling or taking them to the vet.

I use a fleece tunnel which my boys quickly realised means fun floor time or lawn time so they very happily go straight in. It makes the experience so much less stressful for them 🙂

Back