• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Picky piggies!

Livia Rabideau

Teenage Guinea Pig
Anybody else have picky piggies when it comes to hay? I have orchard medley and Timothy 2nd cut. They waste the Timothy has a lot. Picking out the soft strands and blossoms. 😒. Trying to up hay consumption for them. I just ordered bluegrass hay. Hopefully they will like that better!

Piggies&buns

Teenage Guinea Pig
I give my piggies a mixture of Timothy and meadow hay but is is becoming very clear that they prefer the meadow hay!
Mine won’t use a hay rack or litter tray either and they just have their hay in a big pile on the floor. I’ve just accepted that that’s the way it is going to be with them!

Livia Rabideau

Teenage Guinea Pig
I give my piggies a mixture of Timothy and meadow hay but is is becoming very clear that they prefer the meadow hay!
Mine won’t use a hay rack or litter tray either and they just have their hay in a big pile on the floor. I’ve just accepted that that’s the way it is going to be with them!
I just hate the waste! They poop and pee all over it and won't touch it😫

Eriathwen

Adult Guinea Pig
Ours only really show interest in timothy if they get it infrequently, otherwise they get bored of it very quickly. My lot absolutely love meadow hay, its full of different types of grasses and weeds so it seems to keep them interested for longer, they also seem to appreciate orchard grass. I find the meadow much cheaper too so waste becomes less of a problem, they'll always have favourite pieces though so usually the more stalkier bits will always be left.
Dont forget though, they eat their own poops, so a bit of pooped on hay is fine, I remove damp areas and refluff it back up each day and they go back to eating it just fine :)

HeatherRose

Adult Guinea Pig
Anybody else have picky piggies when it comes to hay? I have orchard medley and Timothy 2nd cut. They waste the Timothy has a lot. Picking out the soft strands and blossoms. 😒. Trying to up hay consumption for them. I just ordered bluegrass hay. Hopefully they will like that better!
Mine love bluegrass hay!

Piggy Slave

Teenage Guinea Pig
My boys are currently on Wilko's hay but I'm not happy with it so they will be trying something else next time, I found when I had them on shavings they would tread the hay in and waste a lot, now they are on tea bag bedding they don't seem to waste as much, not sue why but I'm not complaining!

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Ours are picky. The soft hay from dustfreehay is going down a treat at moment. Oxbow Timothy is being ignored but to be honest it is yellow and stalky....

Livia Rabideau

Teenage Guinea Pig
Ours only really show interest in timothy if they get it infrequently, otherwise they get bored of it very quickly. My lot absolutely love meadow hay, its full of different types of grasses and weeds so it seems to keep them interested for longer, they also seem to appreciate orchard grass. I find the meadow much cheaper too so waste becomes less of a problem, they'll always have favourite pieces though so usually the more stalkier bits will always be left.
Dont forget though, they eat their own poops, so a bit of pooped on hay is fine, I remove damp areas and refluff it back up each day and they go back to eating it just fine :)
Thank you!

Livia Rabideau

Teenage Guinea Pig
Aww. That's where I go! I almost couldn't get in today. I had a scare with the girls, but they squeezed me in! Someone peed a tine spot of blood. Not sure who. Hasn't happened again. They are both completely normal. Dr. Greenfield said to watch them over the weekend. He is off tomorrow on vacation next week 😲. Hoping it's nothing. He didn't think anything was wrong. Hope he is right! He hasn't steered me wrong before. I am just a worrier.

xToNix

Forum Donator 2017/18
Ours are picky. The soft hay from dustfreehay is going down a treat at moment. Oxbow Timothy is being ignored but to be honest it is yellow and stalky....
Hi @sport_billy. I was just on this website as I’m looking for a good quality treated Timothy hay but I’m not 100% sure what treated means. Is this hay treated and if so, how do you get on with it? I currently get my hay from timothyhay.co.uk but one of my piggies is really suffering with mites atm and despite treatment from the vets, he’s really struggling to shift them. Obviously I’m not sure if it’s due to the hay or not but I feel it’s worth changing just in case.

G&C

Junior Guinea Pig
Hi @sport_billy. I was just on this website as I’m looking for a good quality treated Timothy hay but I’m not 100% sure what treated means. Is this hay treated and if so, how do you get on with it? I currently get my hay from timothyhay.co.uk but one of my piggies is really suffering with mites atm and despite treatment from the vets, he’s really struggling to shift them. Obviously I’m not sure if it’s due to the hay or not but I feel it’s worth changing just in case.
I think the ‘treatment’ involves heat/steam treating the hay to get rid of mites/bugs.

Bill & Ted

Teenage Guinea Pig
I get a bale of meadow hay from local farmer about every two months. They love it, it has a good mix of grasses and weeds and looks nice and green. I always look out for ragweed, but never come across any, it’s lovely stuff. Tried piggies with bought hay, they quite like B&M dandelion and marigold hay, so get that occasionally too.