• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Pics of my home made home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misplaced

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Here is their first home
DSCF5110.jpg

I also had a hexagon small dog cage as a run using an old table cloth on the carpet.

My girls loved being in the run and squeaked loudly in protest when placed back in their cage (pets at home large guinea pig hutch).

So after hunting on the net for ideas thinking a ramp from the cage to the run would be a good idea I took the cage off its stand and placed it on the floor creating a ramp. this was great until i put the cage back on the stand so I could hoover, only I left the cage door open, they both jumped out! oops silly me.

So onto the project of removing them from their not so big home into a permanent run .........

Here is the basic design. It consists of my Son's bedroom door (her has a new one now) base size being 6ft5 x 2ft6

along with shelving that we found in the loft (left from past residents) height being 9 inches

DSCF5109-1.jpg

next we covered the door in carpet glue to stick on a vinyl table cloth

DSCF5135.jpg

DSCF5137.jpg

and of course covered the side panels too

DSCF5116-1.jpg

next we added caster wheels to allow us to move it around and also to keep them off the floor

DSCF5140.jpg

then we put it all together adding right angle fixings to hold the sides onto the base

DSCF5143.jpg

then tucked and fixed the excess covering underneath the base (door)
here you can see the size difference between the 2 homes

DSCF5145.jpg

next we fitted 2 dog cages together to go around the cage as we have a jumper

DSC04994.jpg

DSCF5218.jpg

also the dog cage opens fully to make cleaning easy.

DSCF5217.jpg

now we have no need for an additional run and my girls no longer protest when being placed back in their home.

Whoa, that is COOL! I hope the pigs like it!

here are my girls

This is Jessica, she is now roughly 16 months old, she is adorable and loves cuddles off my daughter.

DSCF5221.jpg

This is Ellie, she is also roughly 16 months old and loves to jump, lick my fingers and snuggle into my Son. Ellie also got a little bit friendly with a visiting boar, she is 4 weeks pregnant though was not pregnant at the time this pic was taken.

DSCF5222.jpg

Wow, that looks great! Well done :) And didn't cost you too much either...brilliant ;)

wow! i love this its so big and I love the pattern of the tablecloth. I think you will have some very happy pigs now

they love it, and attempt to help when I clean them out too by jumping in and out of the dustpan and spreading what I have just swept up back onto the base ... silly girls. The chase the brush and take it off me too, maybe I need to give it to them as a regular toy!

table cloth came from dunelm mills cost £18.00 for the amount I needed.

other costs were the dog cages but had them for the run anyway aprox £50.00 for both.

castors, hinges, screws, oh used bath sealant too around the inner edges, all minor costs, I have no idea as Hubby got them all.

Then new toys, loo pots and everything else the girls needed, usual costs but they deserve a good home.

now after reading alot within the forum I am debating on changing from wood shavings to fleece, especially with babies on the way.

that is fab!

just a question with your sow been 4 wks preg! is this her first litter?

if so there is a big chance she will not be-able give birth naturally and may need a c-section.. after 12 mths of age the pelvis isnt very elasticated and can result in the sow unable to give birth naturally which can kill them and and the babies!

a first time preg after 12 mths of age is very, very high risk, i lost a rescue sow last year that wasnt able to litter, she had a c-section but died the next day after her stitches came open.:0

that is fab!

just a question with your sow been 4 wks preg! is this her first litter?

if so there is a big chance she will not be-able give birth naturally and may need a c-section.. after 12 mths of age the pelvis isnt very elasticated and can result in the sow unable to give birth naturally which can kill them and and the babies!

a first time preg after 12 mths of age is very, very high risk, i lost a rescue sow last year that wasnt able to litter, she had a c-section but died the next day after her stitches came open.:0

yes Claire this is her first litter, I put the boar in with my girls for a few minutes whilst setting up an emergency cage I was silly.

I will be booking her in to the vets at week 7 as I have read on here that she is at risk, she is my baby I can't let her just get on with it on her own. To be honest I thought about taking her to the vets to abort the babies but I couldn't bring myself to do that either.

any further advice would be greatly appreciated.

its poss your other sow is preg too!

i really dont know what to advice now with it been her first litter, all i can say is lets just hope she litters! and that they will both be ok! as you know now it only takes seconds to become preg and sad as it may sound it has now put your guineas lifes in danger:( are you defo sure she is preg? what are the signs? as you dont normally feel babies moving until 6-7 preg and noticing they are preg until around 5wks.. i hope they will be ok!

there isnt anything the vets can do! it depends if there pelvises have fused

Last edited:
The cage is great. Very inventive and I love the colours. :)

As Claire has said, what signs are there that your girl is pregnant? Or is it just that you saw the boar mounting her?
First time births are riskier for older sows so best to find a cavy savvy vet to have on stand by if there is an emergency.

Claire:

she has put on weight and drinking more, her nipples are more obvious too.

I am 99% sure Jessica is not pregnant but will get both checked over, the boar was removed before he chased after Jessica.

Ok I better book them both into the vets sooner rather than later as planned as the more I read within the forum the more I am scared of losing Ellie.
Doing a favour for a friend has turned into a possible disaster due to my own naivety.

while i dont like to say this :(

but while she is 4 wks preg the babies are very small and if its poss i do think terminating the pregnancy is an option that you could consider ONLY after talking to a good guinea vet first if it poss to do?, but weigh out the poss risks by doing this to the mum!

some people may disagree but it could either go both ways, she could have them and be fine or she and the babies could die!

or from a diff angle mum could give birth and die after, or have a section, die after(very high risk) she could litter them and the babies die, or she could have a section she lives and the babies die or she could die and the babies live and you will need to hand feed them!

maybe some other people could leave the comments on it?

would be worth starting a thread on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back