• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Piggie eating fleece liner

mollm22

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey! Just looking for some advice!

We got two new piggies at the weekend (both two months old) and I noticed one of them was chewing their fleece liner today. They had a bowl of veggies right next to them as well as a toy full of hay (and a full hay rack) so it’s not as if they had nothing to chew on. Is this normal behaviour? Just concerned about her swallowing it and it causing issues! Could it just be a nerve thing if they’re still settling in?

I've never had my piggies eat their liner, and I got them when they were pretty young as well. See if in a week they're still trying to eat it and if so maybe try a different bedding? They probably just don't know what it is haha 😆

Piggie’s, youngsters in particular, explore with their mouths and will chew anything.
I agree in that I would see how they go, they may get fed up of trying to chew if when they realise it isn’t food, but it may also be that fleece isn’t the right bedding choice for your particular piggies!
The other thing I can suggest is to maybe not use hay racks and instead try just putting a big pile of hay on the floor - I know mine eat so much more hay and don’t chew things they shouldn’t chew when hay is right there in their face and easily accessible at head height

Our boys sometimes chew the labels on their pee pads, however they are much more into chewing cardboard, have you tried giving them some loo roll tubes stuffed with hay?

Piggie’s, youngsters in particular, explore with their mouths and will chew anything.
I agree in that I would see how they go, they may get fed up of trying to chew if when they realise it isn’t food, but it may also be that fleece isn’t the right bedding choice for your particular piggies!
The other thing I can suggest is to maybe not use hay racks and instead try just putting a big pile of hay on the floor - I know mine eat so much more hay and don’t chew things they shouldn’t chew when hay is right there in their face and easily accessible at head height
I’ll try that - thank you!

Our boys sometimes chew the labels on their pee pads, however they are much more into chewing cardboard, have you tried giving them some loo roll tubes stuffed with hay?
Yeah! They’ve only been eating the hay out of it though. Ordered a carrot cottage and some other chewable toys so hopefully they will help!

Yeah! They’ve only been eating the hay out of it though. Ordered a carrot cottage and some other chewable toys so hopefully they will help!
If they are anything like our boys they will love the carrot cottage, this is our current one! 0E55DF71-333F-4E7C-B970-FBD8CD75FF56.jpeg

One of my boys likes to nibble fleece. I can second a hay pile and a loo roll stuffed with hay as an alternative!

Back