• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Piggie Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

7squeakers.

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I was looking through some (well, rather a lot actually!) old bank statements recently. I started toting up all the vet visits I'd made (since Nov 2006) and how much they'd cost. I was wondering if it would be worthwhile getting my eight piggies insured. Since Nov 2006, I have been to the Vet 34 times. 11 of those visits cost more than £65, which is Exotics Direct current excess. 9 of those 11 cost more than £100. Total cost of the visits came to £1,965. I have looked at Exotics Direct and they have quoted for my 8 piggies; two policies; Available; £1,092.48 or Popular; £832.78 This is payable by Direct debit in 10 monthly instalments at 10% per month - £109.24 or £83.27. I can't afford that. Can you? :eek:

I currently pay that for my lot and don't regret it, Itys would have cost me a lot last year with her mammary tumours and abscesses.

I'm not rich but I don't really buy any new shoes or clothes unless necessary and also don't go out or drink alcohol/ smoke.

Edit: the excess is only paid on first claim for one condition so if you have consequent appointments for the same issue you don't pay excess again.

@MrsSuzy, thanks for that. I only work part-time so you can imagine how much money I earn. Not a lot! Most of what I do earn I spend on stuff for my piggies. Just like you,I don't smoke or drink or go out for meals or buy lots of clothes. Thankfully, none of my piggies has ever had a very expensive on-going condition that required multiple vet visits. My most expensive vet visit was in Dec 2006; £ 186.69, for surgery I believe.

I looked into it and it was very expensive I thought. We don't work at the moments as I look after my lo and hubby after his spinal surgery so money is very tight. Maybe once we have good money coming in we will but I would rather have a tin to save than pay for insurance

I have tried to put a bit aside every now and then for piggie emergencies, but as I am always so short on money, I often find that I need it for something else! :doh:

I have 3 of my pig's insured. I lost my Pebbles to Lymphoma recently the needle Aspirate, bloodwork and UTI cost in the region of £500. We also looked at Chemo which was £700 an injection. I had the option but decided against it. I wouldn't have had that option if it wasn't for the insurance.

Ok, so since October 2006 you've paid £1965. So over 8.5 years you've paid £1965 that's £231 a year.
In that same time period of you had been paying even the cheapest insurnace it would have cost you
£832 x 8.5= £7072!

So although you wouldn't have paid some of the pet costs to me it would still make you worse off to have had I surance but since I'm bad with figures I'm sure someone's will be along to show me how Ive done that wrong. Lol.

You'd be better off opening an account specifically for vets bills and putting £30 in it every month.
That's 360 a year.
If you don't ever dip into it great- you've got healthy piggies and spare funds but it's there if you need it.

It's all about if or not you have the funds available at the time. I can save but the problem is one vet trip will most likely wipe out my entire savings.

My Fred was ill over Christmas and I was out over £1000 in treatment. For me Insurance gives me peace of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back