• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Piggie now alone

Joannekimble

New Born Pup
Hello

Just after a bit of advice please. We had 2 sisters and one very sadly died this morning. They are 3 and a half and we have had them for 3 years. They have always lived in a hutch outside.

Now one is on her own I am worrying about what to do best for her. She seems OK today and is eating. But worry about her being on her own over night and more so when the cold weather comes when they would have snuggled up for warmth. I do put a heat pad in the hutch when it gets too cold but now she is on her own not sure if she will be OK.

Should I bring her in of a night now especially when it's cold? I have heard before that you shouldn't bring piggies in and out in cold weather as it can mess with their own body temperature control. Is this true?

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you

Piggies&buns

Teenage Guinea Pig
I am sorry for your loss.
Yes bringing them in and out can cause them to struggle with the changes - they should either be completely indoors or completely out once the temperatures outside start to drop.

Posyrose

Forum Donator 2017/18
I have no experience of outdoor piggies, so can't advise, but just wanted to send hugs that your piggie died :hug::hug:

Welcome to the forum, even if it is in difficult circumstances. I'm sure you will find good advice here.

Merab's Slave

Forum Donator 2017/18
So sorry for your loss.
Mine are indoor piggies so I can’t help with advice.

I can say that when my 3 year old girl, Merab, was left alone I found 2 beautiful baby girls who bonded well with her and gave her a new lease of life.

Mother Hubbard

Forum Donator 2017/18
@Joannekimble

Hi there, I have quite a few outdoor piggies.
In terms of a lone piggy outdoors during the winter, my best advice is if you are planning on not rebonding with a new friend then please bring her indoors permanently. Pigs will and can fade with bereavement. My jack has never fully recovered even though he has two beautiful wives who clearly love him and care for him as he does for them, however it does affect them.

They provide more than warmth in the winter, it's company, its playtime and general chatter.

You will too feel the benefit of having her indoor and you will share so much more than before. Failing that, a good bonding with a rescue is your best bet for a successful friend, however just be warned, some rescues at this time of the year won't be looking for bonding and releasing due to the weather.

Mine are incredibly comfy and warm and I do go to extreme lengths to keep them warm, safe, draught free in stand alone hutches.

Joannekimble

New Born Pup
Hi everyone. Thank you so much for all your advice and words of support. The second one seems good at the moment but we are thinking about bringing her in for the winter now for company xx