• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Piggie Puncture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steph linden

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
This is my very first guinea pig Oscar. I found him in a garbage dumpster behind a pet shop when he was between 6-8 weeks old he was in bad shape had matted eyes and a behind his shoulder. As had a bunch of hair missing. He had a horrible infection, both in his eyes and in his wounds. He has over come a lot in his short little life. Now he has a puncture under his chin. What are your thoughts do I need to take him to the emergency vet or can it wait till Monday? I have attached a photo of the wound and also one of him just being adorable. Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 8
Bless him, he has really been through it.

I think it does need checking over before Monday in case it gets infected and he also may need pain relief. For now you could bathe it in a saline solution. Do you have any idea what may have caused it?

No I don't the only thing I could think is it was an abscess because it had some drainage to it but I had some metacam left over from his previous issues and some chlorahexidine mixed with water that I used before with his other wounds so I flushed it out with that. Poor guy I just texted a photo to my vet I'm waiting to here back but I am terribly awful at waiting.

Is the puncture a wound he already had when you got him ....or has he sustained this afterwards?

If the latter - has he been with any other pigs recently (could be a bite) or what do you think has caused it?

Whatever.... he needs emergency vets treatment including proper cleaning of the wound and antibiotics. Even this may not stop an abcess developing which, if it does so, means he will need vigilant care and maybe another vets visit.
x

Yes he lives with two girls. But I don't think they did it. It's in an area next to where an old wound was. I have texted my vet and she is going to meet us first thing in the am.

Thanks everyone oscar has seen The vet and he is doing very well the vet said it is an abscess and with cleaning and meds he will be perfectly fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back