• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Piggie wheezing after medicine

PremierPig

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So my ongoing battle with ringworm continues... thought we had knocked this on the head having treated almost continuously since March! But last night noticed one of my piggies has a bald foot (out of nowhere) so restarted the Intrafungol.

Last time we had to dose both pigs as they live together. So I did Caramel who has symptoms and then dosed Spotty-pig. Unfortunately the dose sprayed into her mouth quite fast (syringes can be tricky) and she didn’t cough but had a sort of wheezy/crackle afterwards. I thought it would go overnight, but this morning she is still doing it (though seems happy enough, eating, etc). Should I be worried, has anyone else had this? Will it go?

I feel really deflated tbh. I love my piggies and I’m scrupulous with cleaning, food, etc but just feel like I’m failing at the moment in keeping them well.

80A7B9B1-EDC5-4ECA-AD44-6CE61815449B.jpeg

I would speak to the vet in case the meds have been aspirated
I would also speak to the vet before starting a treatment anyway to confirm that it is the same issue as before.

If she has aspirated the medicine what is the prognosis? Do they get better on their own? If not, what is the usual treatment? We live in rural Spain and our exotic pet vet is currently on holiday so we are struggling to find someone who can treat/diagnose today.

Thank you. She has pneumonia so I feel terrible. She’s had some injections and needs to back tomorrow for another check. 😢

I am sorry to hear that
Wishing her well for her recovery. Keep us posted on how she is doing

Please be kind yo yourself.
You are clearly a very committed and caring owner, and your piggies are lucky to have you.
You are doing a great job with them, even just noticing these things in the first place, and then getting them seen by a vet even when that isn't easy shows how much you care about them.

I think all of us will admit to going through phases of being completely overwhelmed with health issues, and questioning whether we are doing a good job for our piggies, but the fact that you are even asking that question shows that you are doing your absolute best. :hug:

Thank you Swissgreys - that is a very kind comment. I really love my piggies (strictly speaking they belong to my daughters but I'm realistic about who does all the work!) They came to us with ringworm (early March) and we have been dosing and medicating almost daily since we realised. It has been pretty soul-destroying, and a ton of extra work, cleaning, etc. I'm an absolute expert in getting medicine in them after all this time, so I feel doubly bad about making a mistake and injuring her.

Just back from the vets, Spotty is looking much better, luckily we caught it early. She has medicine for a week then back for another check up. In the meantime Caramel has another month of ringworm medicine. 🤦‍♀️ Spotty can't have this at the same time as the other medicine, so hopefully she doesn't also catch the itch...

I’m so glad she looks better.
I am sorry to hear you are battling ringworm though - just to check, has the cage been deep cleaned with a good disinfectant (F10 is the vet grade disinfectant we would recommend), along with all hideys soaked in F10 and all fabric bedding hot washed/replaced?

Good news - Spotty-Pig has managed to shake off the pneumonia and is almost clear, just 2 days of medicine to go. She has been a grumpy moo at being regularly pulled out for medicine and vets, so hopefully her mood will improve after this! 🙏 😁

Good news - Spotty-Pig has managed to shake off the pneumonia and is almost clear, just 2 days of medicine to go. She has been a grumpy moo at being regularly pulled out for medicine and vets, so hopefully her mood will improve after this! 🙏 😁

I’m glad to hear she is doing well!

Back