• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

piggies and cats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sazmatazz

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all.
Just after some advice on pigs and other pets.

We have 2 piggies who live indoors in our utility area on floor level. (ferplast cage)

I just wondered if anyone has both piggies and cats together?
Ours often get spied on by the neighbourhood cats when they are outdoors in their run in summer, some are more keen than others to get near them.

We would like to get a cat but obviously wouldn't do anything that would endanger our pigs.

Thanks

I have 3 cats and 15 Guinea Pigs. There isn't a problem if a cat is brought up around them and is used to them being a part of the family, not a meal. I would not trust any strange cats around my Guinea Pigs and I do keep my pigs in a separate room, because when you are out you never know what could happen. I just have to take precautions, but the cats have never done anything when in the same room as them and the piggies aren't scared because they don't see them as a threat.

We had cats before pigs and we are very lucky that our two old girls would never harm our pigs, they are just not bothered about them at all.

Since having guineas i can not imagine life without them so when my two girls are not with us anymore I'm not sure i would risk getting any other cats just incase they are funny with the guinea pigs.

Last edited:
We to had cats before the girls came along, there was some initial curiosity from all concerned but because they were large I dont think the cats were inclined to chase just watch but when our 2 new ones came along they were quite small so attracted alot more attention from the cats it wasnt until they had grown considerably larger that we felt confident in letting them out without supervision. During the warmer weather though and they are in the garden they get an awful lot of attention from the neighbouring cats.

We had our cat from a kitten so he has been brought up around the pigs. The pigs are more interested in him than he is of them and I do not worry about him hurting them. I have witnessed the pigs running up to squeaking which is cute. However, I would never leave him alone with the pigs when they are free ranging just in case he decided to get rough with them.

My pigs have never been bothered by our cats. The only problem we ever had was when they were in a temp house one night and the bars were big enough for one of the kittens to get her paws in. She didn't want to hurt them she was just curious but we had to ban the kittens from the room that night.

My cats dont pay attention to my pigs.
Once i found Pebbles cuddled up to my boy Eli i used to have, how she got in the cage i'll never know but then Eli and my dog Millie used to lick each other the bars.
I have some very strange babies :))

Millie is now upset that Angel & Meme pay no attention to her at all :))

xx

We have two cats and a dog and they get on fine but I would never leave them alone together as dogs are dogs and cats are cats when all is said and done.

DSCF2719.jpg

DSCF2353.jpg

We had Murdock before we had piggies and he's quite intrigued by them. I'm confident he would never hurt them (although he does seem to like to tap the on the bottom to make them run away) but would never leave him alone with them. He loves to sit and watch them, but isn't too sure when they run towards him and usually scarpers rolleyes

He's quite happy to have a little snooze with them though zzz

IMG_0073.jpg

I think he would actually quite like to be a guinea pig to be honest..

IMG_0583.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg

We have recently taken in a young stray too who doesn't really know what to make of the pigs. He occasionally run up to the pen, but has not attempted to jump in with them. He's a little wary of them to be honest :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back