• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Piggies&buns – bunnies!

I’m back home now and the news isn’t good.

The vet has confirmed blindness in both eyes, he is in quite a bit of pain now and he clearly has eased off (in the last couple of days) on taking care of himself. His old body is just failing him.
The vet has said its now a quality of life consideration and we have sadly agreed that it is now starting to dwindle.

The vet has maxed out his pain meds but its more buying time rather than a longer term solution. We are most likely looking at between a couple of days to a couple of weeks. Its all hinging on how he responds to the increased dose, whether they perk him up and how long they do that for.

It’s scary how quickly they deteriorate - a week ago he was having a great time shredding newspaper and now I’m thinking about having to let him go. I’m no stranger to this after 35 years of having rabbits but it never gets easier and I keep telling myself he has had a fantastic life and we will do all we can to make his last days/week or so happy ones. For tonight, he has a lovely carrot top dinner coming his way. Tomorrow onwards all ‘rules’ are going out the window, he’s having his pellet bowl filled, he’s going to get carrots and banana and lots of time on the grass.
Give him the time of his life!

I am so sorry. I hope you can make lots of happy memories and that the weather is kind and lets him have his grass time tomorrow.

I’m sorry it’s not the news you wanted. I am sure he will continue to live his best life. Hope you can make some more lovely memories.

Give him all the happy todays you can so there will be no regrets when he finally hops over the rainbow bridge.
Holding you in my heart ♥️
You will have started grieving so be gentle with yourself

I’m so sorry. It never gets any easier. Spoil him rotten. He deserves it. I hope the medication helps for a long time. 🤞

I'm sorry 😔 yes spoil him, hopefully the pain meds work for a while longer.

I’m so sorry Patch has gone down hill, sending you bigs hugs. I hope you get lots of lovely time together though

I’m letting my beautiful boy go tomorrow evening 💔

We’ve just been to the vet (saw my favourite vet) as I noticed deterioration
His body is shutting down, he is getting sore feet through his reluctance to move caused by arthritis; his immune system isn’t able to cope. She said that he seems as happy as he can be for an old arthritic bunny - eating well, his weight is stable, no dental issues and was hopping around the consultation room floor as best he can, but its now clear his age is really showing and things are heading in the wrong direction quickly, the pain meds probably aren’t enough now and his quality of life is right on the line. She said that we may get him through another week but that week would most certainly see him drop the wrong side of that line. I told her that I can’t see that happen, I want him to go as happy as he can be and she said that I’m not wrong in making the decision now - she used the phrase of a day too early is better than a day too late. So, we’ve brought him home for one more night, a fantastic dinner and to say our goodbyes.

Attachments

• C4EC0D15-1C83-4D4C-BAC4-5F742910DA54.jpeg
    C4EC0D15-1C83-4D4C-BAC4-5F742910DA54.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 22
So sorry that you are having to make such a difficult decision.
Even though it’s a gift of love his loss will still hurt.
Make some good memories tonight.
Holding you in my heart ♥️

So very sorry to hear he’s reached this point, but what a loving gift to have it happen on his terms, before things get worse. Sounds like he’s had a great life with you and he couldn’t possibly have asked for more, right until the end. Take care of yourself as you grieve, it sounds like a very special bond indeed with your gorgeous boy.

I’m so very sorry. He sounds like a wonderful bunny. He’s had a great life with you and you are giving him a dignified end. A hard decision I know from experience. Take care ❤️

Sending you love and strength for today x

Thank you.
I'm trying to be practical this morning (so I don’t lose the plot) and preparing his burial pot and then I’ll just be spending this afternoon with him.
He was enjoying a bit of digging last night (he’s never been a particular big digger, more just scraping the surface off!) nibbling the grass and he just looked so happy. Today is going to be a warm and sunny day and he’s already laying under his favourite step and doing some sunbathing, so it feels like a really lovely final day for him.

Thank you.
I'm trying to be practical this morning (so I don’t lose the plot) and preparing his burial pot and then I’ll just be spending this afternoon with him.
He was enjoying a bit of digging last night (he’s never been a particular big digger, more just scraping the surface off!) nibbling the grass and he just looked so happy. Today is going to be a warm and sunny day and he’s already laying under his favourite step and doing some sunbathing, so it feels like a really lovely final day for him.
Oh man this is close to home - I really sympathise with you. All he knows is happiness and and dignity. Love to you and him today xx

Oh I’m so sorry to see your sad news @Piggies&buns, he’s such a lovely boy and I’ve got such a soft spot for him, gutted for you. I really hope you have a lovely day with him ❤️ Sending ginormous hugs to you and beautiful Patch xx

Sending you so much love. It’s always such a difficult decision but one I’ve never regretted making.
Sounds like you have given Patch some lovely last days with all the rules thrown out.

Take care, I’ll be thinking of you later x

He’s gone. My gorgeous boy.
I was able to stay with him the whole time, he kept nudging his head under my hand for comfort, like he always did, while the initial sedative was taking hold. It was heartbreaking but lovely at the same time, he knew I was there as he slipped away.
He’s back home now where he belongs.
I‘ll do a rainbow bridge tribute when I’m feeling stronger but for now sleep tight my beautiful boy

Attachments

• A1D13DDA-B8C0-4A06-ABB0-91D52D9AC4E6.jpeg
    A1D13DDA-B8C0-4A06-ABB0-91D52D9AC4E6.jpeg
    44 KB · Views: 11
  • F995A209-0385-4F11-BB23-2A01FB599572.jpeg
    F995A209-0385-4F11-BB23-2A01FB599572.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 11
He’s gone. My gorgeous boy.
I was able to stay with him the whole time, he kept nudging his head under my hand for comfort, like he always did, while the initial sedative was taking hold. It was heartbreaking but lovely at the same time, he knew I was there as he slipped away.
He’s back home now where he belongs.
I‘ll do a rainbow bridge tribute when I’m feeling stronger but for now sleep tight my beautiful boy
Sleep tight gorgeous bun. ❤️

Be kind to yourself @Piggies&buns x

I’m so sorry. I’m glad you could be with him. Thinking of you :hug:x

Sleep tight beautiful Patch ❤️ xx

He had the happiest life a rabbit could hope for, and you were there with him at the end. Sending hugs :hug:

Sleep tight Patch, you were very loved ❤️

Back