• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Piggies chomping grass in winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarah from Chucklebunnies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have tried to get turf inside to feed the piggies grass over winter. My first attempt failed, because I left the tray with the piggies and they ate so much of the grass it wouldn't regrow....I should have known! This is their second chomp at the second tray of turf - this tray is doing well!

Carmilla (1.6kg) tries to eat it all first!
DSC04619.jpg

Chamomile also tries to command the turf!
DSC04616.jpg

This is what I had left after five minutes solid chomping, there should be enough grass left here to grow again so they can have another five mins chomp next week! Not a lot for five hungry piggies, but still a nice treat for them over the winter.
DSC04621.jpg

Lovely pics!

I am just amazed at how guickly and completely a group of piggies can demolish anything green!

Is that the only time the little satin rocket is still enough to take photos of, when she is eating ^) Hope they are all still doing fine. I will have to sneak round and pignap Chamomile one of these days :))

How did you sort that out as i dont have grass in my garden as its all patio'd

I took a piece of turf from the bit at the bottom of our garden, I don't really want that to be lawn in the long run. The tray was from a hamster cage but any plastic tray of about two to two and a half inches deep will do.

If you don't have a lawn then you could sow grass seed into a tray or buy one of those turf rolls (which is a lot more expensive). Just let it grow in the usual way, mine sits on top of the cupboard in the conservatory where the piggies are but they can't reach and they can harvest the grass whenever it gets long enough.

And yes - 'while eating' is the only way to take a decent picture of the satin rocket!

Our pigs love grass too and it is winter here now and we don't know how we are going to get them grass.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back