• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Piggies currently indoors

Stripeyrache

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Uh-oh... we moved our two girls indoors whilst it’s been so hot and I think I’ve gotten quite used to them being in here 🙈 I think my husband might kill me if I say I don’t want to put them back in the hutch...
I just love being sat in the living room and hearing their little warblings as they busy about the cage. I love being able to poke my head over the sofa and coo back at them. I love not having to barricade the hutch up at night and going to bed knowing there is zero risk of foxes.
I don’t think I want the heat wave to end...!

Uh-oh... we moved our two girls indoors whilst it’s been so hot and I think I’ve gotten quite used to them being in here 🙈 I think my husband might kill me if I say I don’t want to put them back in the hutch...
I just love being sat in the living room and hearing their little warblings as they busy about the cage. I love being able to poke my head over the sofa and coo back at them. I love not having to barricade the hutch up at night and going to bed knowing there is zero risk of foxes.

You are not the first one who has found out why indoors piggies are much more fun and whose piggies haven't back out. It happens more commonly after a winter spent indoors. But guinea pigs are wonderfully interactive pets and can become family members. Even my hub would comment on how eerily quiet our house was when our piggies had gone to the holiday boarder...

Offering a concession/compromise in some other area your hub would appreciate some leeway from you often works.

I think he quite likes them being in too, the cage is behind the sofa and I’ve definitely caught him holding his phone over his shoulder to sneakily watch them with the camera 😂
It’s the space that’s more the issue. But I’m definitely going to say nothing now and just leave them, maybe he won’t say anything either 🤞🏼

Ours have always been indoor pigs but they were supposed to be in the kids playroom. We had to move them out for a couple of days and so we popped them in the lounge. 4 years later and I still have no space in the front room because of their pen on the floor 😂

5 years ago mine were going to be out door piggies. They arrived during a very cold snap and we couldn't bear to put them out in an unheated shed. 5 years and several more piggies later they have taken over our living room and lives.

I might bang my knee on the cage four times a week and my laptop bag for work is full of bits of hay but I can't imagine my three being outside and me missing all the fascinating things they do. Sounds like your husband might be halfway there!

I miss having my 3 indoors since we moved. It's so much harder to interact with or simply watch them when they are in the hutch in the outbuilding. They have recently been indoors in our ferplast cage in a passageway when it was too hot outside a couple of times, and started off there when we moved in, but it wasnt a viable long term solution. 😕

When we moved I insisted on my lot being in the garage rather than outside (OH insisted on a large enough drive for the caravan!) as I knew he wouldn't allow them live in the house. The garage has access to the house. I am always in and out of the garage and interact with my Piggies so much more now than I did when they were outside.

I've started out again with 2 piggies in the lounge; they have now taken over most of it; especially since lockdown and us not having any visitors in the house...

I think we need to look out for a new poster...
”we brought our pigs inside away from the heat and I‘m loving having them indoors. I have to sneak watching them on my phone because my wife thinks I want them outside. How do I keep them indoors without losing face after I was so insistent they were outside pets?”

As nice as it is to have your little furbies inside so you see them more, you need to think of the piggies and what they want and need and enjoy. Because I think that's more important. In the same way that some pigs don't like fusses and pets, and people respect that and give them their space, some pigs would prefer fresh air and the natural sounds of being outside, instead of TV sounds, vacuum noise, cooking smells, air fresheners or cleaning smells...

Well we talked about wiggling the sofa forward an inch so the cage fits better.
I think we’ll see how it goes. Space is an issue if I’m honest, but we’re managing at the moment and it is nice to be able to see and interact with them more 🥰

Mine have always been indoor piggies. They are part of the family and they stay where they can hear what is going on in the house. I like checking on them to see everything is ok with them numerous times a day.
They wait for me, and come running for their meals, and treats when they know I came home.

It never occurred to me to put them outside. I totally enjoy their company.

Mine go outside in their runs on nice days. They climb into their carriers to go out, knowing they will be able to eat grass. Each pair of piggies have 2 runs each joined with a tube, they love to run along the tubes and leap out the other end. They've not been out much recently as it's either been wet or too hot. Picked grass is just not the same. Whilst being outside on the grass is more natural for them, the weather in this country is not suitable, piggies shouldn't be outside on cold damp ground.

Back