• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Piggies Eating Grass

shannonandrosy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My piggies tend to leave about 1/4 of their veggies in the am. So I have split their veggies up for half in the am and half in the pm. Can they have grasss halfway in between? And how much? They have had grass several times and love it. Just dont want to feed to much

fresh grass can replace the vegs and the grass is far better and more nutricious and appropriate than any veg. My piggies' diet is based on fresh grass (and hay), no pellets (only some pieces) and some vegs. They have grown amazingly and are healthy. I give them a little supplement of vit C but it is only my choice, the vet agrees but he says that with all that good fresh grass and the piece of bell pepper they eat daily maybe the supplement is only wasted money. The gut of a piggie is designed for the grass, they are herbivore; therefore my advice is to go on like that, don't worry of the quantity of the vegs and they (their vet says) can have unlimited hay and grass (hay is grass...). The ration for my piggies is now half bag a day, when possible, sometimes even more (it depends on them and how much they are hungry)
100_6917.JPG
100_6730.JPG

Do you fees the whole bag at once or spread out throughout the day?
fresh grass can replace the vegs and the grass is far better and more nutricious and appropriate than any veg. My piggies' diet is based on fresh grass (and hay), no pellets (only some pieces) and some vegs. They have grown amazingly and are healthy. I give them a little supplement of vit C but it is only my choice, the vet agrees but he says that with all that good fresh grass and the piece of bell pepper they eat daily maybe the supplement is only wasted money. The gut of a piggie is designed for the grass, they are herbivore; therefore my advice is to go on like that, don't worry of the quantity of the vegs and they (their vet says) can have unlimited hay and grass (hay is grass...). The ration for my piggies is now half bag a day, when possible, sometimes even more (it depends on them and how much they are hungry)
View attachment 68357
View attachment 68358

At the moment my piggies have a huge pile of grass at least once a day, or they spend a lot of time on the lawn (picking the grass themselves).
Over Winter they have very little grass, so each Spring I slowly build up to it, by offering a small handful once a day until I am sure they are tolerating it and then gradually increase the amount.
Now I don't worry about the amount, as they can happily eat huge piles with no problem, but soon they will get less and less until it stops altogether in the Autumn and then they have to wait until next Spring for their favorite food again.

Do you fees the whole bag at once or spread out throughout the day?
not all the grass in one time because they would eat only a part and then they would sleep on the leftovers... I keep the grass sprayed with water into that bag well closed put into the vegs compartment of the fridge and the grass keeps its freshness for 1-2 days. Usually they ask for grass at lunch time and in the afternoon; the last ration is at night before going to bed, but honestly I haven't a strict schedule and sometimes they are less hungry. There are grasses which I think are more nutritious than others... It depends also of the vegs they eat.
Anyway that bag lasts 1-2 days and consider also the leftovers because when the grass loses freshness they poo on it...
Moreover, now the lawns nearby have a quality of grass they don't appreciate too much...

Back