Piggies eating non-food things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I see a lot of pictures online of people who give there piggies beds, put a fleece blanket at the bottom of a cage etc. My experience with guinea pigs is that they eat all these things. My previous guinea pigs ate some of my sisters carpet and cardboard boxes were also eaten. So now I am a bit afraid to give my piggies things that are not wood or very hard plastic (that is almost impossible to chew on). How do guinea pig owners keep there piggies from eating everything because I don't think fleece and other things like that is very healthy for them.

Reaction score
I am fairly new to piggies myself, but none of my piggies have chewed on the fleece in the bottom of the cage, neither have they chewed on their cozies.
If they have enough other chewy stuff, like hay and toys, I find that they do not chew on anything else in their cage.

beaverstar

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
When Marmite was younger she would try and eat the puppy pad that was underneath the fleece but it was just trial and error to get a set up that meant they couldn't do that.

My piggies are fine with fleece and have never tried eating this. They have fleece bottom, cushions, cuddle cups, I got a sewing machine and went a bit fleece mad :)). They have wood houses and wood toys, chubes and lots of hay. I also swap things around so they get variety.

lauralucy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
my piggies have cardboard box hideys and love them they like to make the doors bigger by eating them, they have also eaten correx and a few have made holes in my carpets. They also like eating newspaper. I dont think it really harms them.

CandyFloss

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Mine have fleece and fleecy beds and stuff and havent nibbled them at all. The only thing they eat a lot is the correx I have as sides on their ramps.....rolleyes

x

Reaction score
So cardbox and newspapers are not harmful when eaten by pigs?

I was a bit afraid to try giving them fleece things but when I hear all this I think it might depend on the guinea pig if they will try to eat it or not. Maybe my previous piggies were a bit bored because they were inside a smaller cage at that moment. Or maybe the carpet was incredibly tasty :))

lauralucy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
cardboard and newspapaers as far as i'm aware are fine to be eaten by piggies, carpets and corrrex not so much! i think there was something tasty on the carpet but i now have two holes about the size of a 10p and £2. but oh well :)

i think (not sure) but they explore with there noses and taste.

Pigmad

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
i found i hole in the fleece last week as i was cleaning out, piggies have been fine, they have all sorts of things to chew on but chose the fleece mallethead

Status
Not open for further replies.