• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Piggies Fallen Out

Nic bee

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, I'm after some advice please. My piggie boar's are 3 and 2 and I got them as babies from a rescue. They've never been loved up but have always been happy to live together in different sides of their indoor cage. When my youngest went through his teenage years things got tough but never physical and then settled down. But recently they're really grumpy with each other, I weigh them regularly and they seem healthy but one has decided to live upstairs and one downstairs. They're ok together when they go out for grass, but lots of rumbling. And in their cage if they meet lots of chasing about, teeth chattering and rumbling..
What's going on??
Thanks
Nicola

Hi, I'm after some advice please. My piggie boar's are 3 and 2 and I got them as babies from a rescue. They've never been loved up but have always been happy to live together in different sides of their indoor cage. When my youngest went through his teenage years things got tough but never physical and then settled down. But recently they're really grumpy with each other, I weigh them regularly and they seem healthy but one has decided to live upstairs and one downstairs. They're ok together when they go out for grass, but lots of rumbling. And in their cage if they meet lots of chasing about, teeth chattering and rumbling..
What's going on?
Thanks
Nicola

It is impossible to say, but it looks like your boys have decided to separate on their own. There may have been a take-over bid that has not been met with approval?

Please respect that and arrange the two levels so that each boy has their own territory. Give them interaction/stimulation through the bars and see how they get on and neutral ground when you bring the run indoors. If necessary split it so they can still interact. You may find that they get on better as a "can't live together but can't live apart" pair. It doesn't look like they are spoiling for a full-on fight, just like a real grudge match.

Oh it's so sad.. thanks for your advice x

Your boys are still OK on neutral ground, so you can keep their bond alive that way. They may even mellow over time and decide that they may move in back together if you are lucky.

Piggies are every bit as complex as humans and their relationships... As long as you respect that, you can concentrate on making them happy as they are and push not as you impagine they should be. As long as your boys have not had a full-on fight with deep bites, there is always hope for a reunion at some point although they will never be a close, loving pair. Hang on in there!

Back