• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Piggies for beginners - Help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi Everybody!

I'm new to having guinea pigs and just need a little advise. My 4 year old son was wanting a pet for ages and I'm newly separated and wasn't "allowed" pets before (!) so I jumped at the chance. I have the best childhood memories of having a guinea pig called Leena, who I got when I was 6 and she was with me until I was about 12... So we decided to get 2 piggies. We got sisters Daisy and Tansy from a pet shop (I know, that's bad, but I really didn't realise it was at the time... sorry!) and because I was new to everything I only checked the, to me, obvious health signs: clean eyes, ears and nose, clean bum and vagina. So it happened that I didn't notice until later that Tansy wasn't walking... She actually looked quite "spaced out" to me when I took a closer look, she wasn't eating or drinking, just generally lethargic. I took her to a vet and they said her spine and both her legs were broken and there was nothing they could do for her, her injuries were too bad. She was put to sleep... It was terrible with both me and my little boy crying. We were in shock a bit after that and I wasn't sure what to do... I started researching online and there realised how much better it would have been to get them from a rescue, also how important it is to keep a minimum of two piggies and so after a little while we decided to get a friend for poor lonely Daisy, this time from a rescue. Daisy was about 9 weeks old then. At the rescue they had just got a little girl in, who had apparently been handed in because she had 2 brothers and they needed to be separated (so what about the Mum, I ask myself...) She was just 6 1/2 to 7 weeks old, a cute little bundle. My son named her Smiley. Well.... Smiley and Daisy are sort of getting on, I suppose. They are not the best of friends though... They sway from side to side (Smiley more than Daisy) and they chatter their teeth and they do chase each other around the cage - but only sometimes. Sometimes they seem a lot better, they have been together for about 2 weeks now. I've even found them sharing the same house a few times now, sharing a food bowl, sitting snuggled up together... But then they sometimes chase each other around again, squeaking real loud, head butting, swaying, teeth chattering. They've never been proper agressive though, never biting each other or been bullied into a corner or anything. So what do I do? Can I leave them together? Will they get on better with time? I'm totally enchanted by these lovely animals, and I really want to do right by them x) . Also they are both very shy still, Smiley a lot more than Daisy. I spend a lot of time sitting infront of their cage, just holding my hand in and talking to them. Is there anything else I can do to tame them?
Thank you so much for reading this, I know it's a bit of a novel.... Just wanted to explain the situation properly.

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

Oh my that truly is heart breaking and you've certainly learned the hard way why pet shops are bad. Poor little Tansy.

The girls are more than likely sorting out the pecking error, aslong as blood isn't drawn they should settle in time. In behaviour at the top there is a sticky about Sow behaviour have a look. :)

Sticky: http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=38561

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum my dear,

It's horrible what happend, i'm so sorry :( But glad you decided to come on here, as the people are amazing :D

Love x

Hi, sorry to hear about your other piggy xx you'll get all the help you need on here, I've asked loads of questions and everyone's so quick to answer and in a friendly way.

Hello and welcome. :)p

I also have pet shop piggies and although I would only have rescues in the future, I love them to pieces and would never change that I have them.

Very sad what happened to Tansy. :rose

I agree that Daisy and Smiley are probably just working through the pecking order. If it helps, I have 3 girls and they never snuggle but live perfectly happily together. Some pigs are just not that way inclined. :)

Hiya

Am so sorry to hear about Tansy :( at least as you had her she was taken to the vets and allowed to sleep peacefully sooner rather than later so she didn't suffer for too long.

As for your two girls now, I really wouldn't worry too much about the behaviour. My two 'old birds' (4 and a half now, the eldest of my piggies) still act like this to this day! Some days you will get rumbling, teeth chattering, bit of chasing and silliness...then twenty minutes later both faaaast asleep snuggled next to each other! My mum says they are the personification of my sister and I and she's about right!

As for taming them, you are doing all the right things. The only thing I would say is don't leave it too long to pick them up etc. as this will actually make things worse. When I get new piggies, the first 2 days it's gentle talking and just feeding, nothing else. Then we progress to holding out the veg so they take it from my hand, and do that for 3-4 days. By then they have realised these giant pinky white things are not there to hurt them, but actually to provide nice things like carrots and celery, so are not too worried when they get a bit closer and give them a stroke! By the end of the first week I expect to have picked up the new piggies without a mad chase around the hutch and start getting them used to cuddles. Obviously some piggies will take longer, but don't delay too much or they will get too used to you just leaving them be and become a bit, well, feral, lol.

You will have to post some photos of your girls!

Hi! Thank you so much for your replies... Oh good, I'm glad to think that they are alright together. Wouldn't have known what to do if I had to separate them - I don't really have space for two cages and I don't have another cage anyway. So it's a big relief.
I have started picking them up a bit now... Daisy loves being snuggled up on the sofa with me in the evening, she's really calm and relaxed with me and with my son too... Smiley is not as relaxed at first and fidgits around, Jake calls her a wriggler and isn't keen on holding her. I like holding her cause she's so fluffy with spikey hair, and if I make like a little "cave" with my hand for her she actually calms right down and seems to enjoy being rubbed behind her ears. I'll put some pics on, Daisy is the one with the black face and Smiley chocolate brown with a bit of white. Love them to bits! There is also a picture that Jake made of Daisy - notice the 5 legs! :))

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 16
Welcome :)p

So sorry to hear about Tansy :( at least shes at peace now. You definatley did the right thing getting Daisy a friend, hopefully they'll soon be good friends and you won't be able to seperate them, it just takes time :) Awww they are gorgeous piggies, I love Jake's picture of Daisy too. You'll find lots of helpful people and information on here.....so ask away :))

Rachel x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back