• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Piggies in the bedroom

Dipperoni

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello! I was wondering if keeping two female pigs in the bedroom is okay. I'm planning on using fleece liner and spot-cleaning it each day. My big concerns at the moment are just smell and noise (especially with that water bottle).
I am also wondering if it is alright for me to use white noise at night. I have tinnitus and use it to deal with the ringing. It's quiet and blends into background noise, but I'm not sure how the pigs would feel. It's similar to an AC noise-wise. Besides that, there is no noise that I play without headphones.
My last concern is allergies. I've found I'm not allergic to pigs when I hold them for a while, but would that be of concern if I were living in the same space as them? It would be a lot of exposure, especially with their hay.

Thanks!

Hello! I was wondering if keeping two female pigs in the bedroom is okay. I'm planning on using fleece liner and spot-cleaning it each day. My big concerns at the moment are just smell and noise (especially with that water bottle).
I am also wondering if it is alright for me to use white noise at night. I have tinnitus and use it to deal with the ringing. It's quiet and blends into background noise, but I'm not sure how the pigs would feel. It's similar to an AC noise-wise. Besides that, there is no noise that I play without headphones.
My last concern is allergies. I've found I'm not allergic to pigs when I hold them for a while, but would that be of concern if I were living in the same space as them? It would be a lot of exposure, especially with their hay.

Thanks!
White noise wise I think it would be depend how loud it is and if they get a break from it during the day. I have tinnitus and also had loud neighbours so had to go through a period of using white noise. I tried to keep white noise close to me and not near them.

I don't have a problem with smell, I spot clean twice a day. I did though find just using fleece a lot of hard work and that I needed to change part of it each day. Mine are in a 7x2 c&c. And i use paper bedding in 2x2 and 5x2 fleece which works much better for me, reduces the washing. You will smell hay a lot though.

Allergy wise it's normally hay people are allergic to.

I love the pigs being in my bedroom.

I'm afraid I have no idea about the white noise.
If you keep a cage clean enough the only smell is that of hay, which I find pleasant.
Some piggies are noisy with a bottle and some are silent, there's no way of knowing.

White noise wise I think it would be depend how loud it is and if they get a break from it during the day. I have tinnitus and also had loud neighbours so had to go through a period of using white noise. I tried to keep white noise close to me and not near them.

I don't have a problem with smell, I spot clean twice a day. I did though find just using fleece a lot of hard work and that I needed to change part of it each day. Mine are in a 7x2 c&c. And i use paper bedding in 2x2 and 5x2 fleece which works much better for me, reduces the washing. You will smell hay a lot though.

Allergy wise it's normally hay people are allergic to.

I love the pigs being in my bedroom.
They will definitely get a long break from the white noise during the day and I'll make sure it's near me and quiet so it doesn't bother them. I guess the only way I can tell if the hay bothers me is putting them in my room already. I may be able to find another spot if it does prove to be an issue. Thank you for the reply though!

I moved my two boys into the house at the end of last year. Before that they used to live in my garage. I was worried about smell and also if they would be scared of household noises and my dog barking.

Well they don’t definitely don’t smell and they are not worried about the hoover, dog barking or the doorbell. Nothing. 😍

Obviously I can smell hay. But I love the smell of hay.

Smell can vary, but speaking from my own personal experience, it's really not that bad, and I've only ever had male pigs. They're also smart enough to know when their feeding times are and won't wheek like crazy in the middle of the night as long as they have their hay. Drinking can make some noise, but depending on how much water is in the veggies you give them they may not drink that often. If you're not a very light sleeper I doubt that would be an issue. I don't know enough to say what effect white noise would have on the pigs.

The allergies you'll definitely want to check on, though. If you can hold them for a while I doubt you'd be that allergic to them. The hay is a different matter, however. I am extremely allergic to hay, and got two guinea pigs last year. I remember being allergic when going on a hay ride when I was young, but it never really crossed my mind because I had guinea pigs before without issue. There weren't as many great resources around on how to properly care for them back then, though, so I was not giving them near enough hay, it was more fruits/veggies. But once I got my new pigs, I had a very rough awakening. When you're just getting settled with new pets the last thing you want is to deal with coughing like crazy every time you finish cleaning the cage and having trouble breathing, though it might not be quite that bad if you don't have Asthma like I do.

My advice is to get a small bag of timothy hay before prepping for getting pigs and lay it out on something like a sheet and try to clean it up. This way you can find out if you're allergic. If you are, you can try Orchard Grass hay or some other type. I switched to Orchard Grass which was key to me being able to keep my pigs. If you're still pretty allergic, you can maybe try wearing a mask when cleaning, and some medication can help, though good luck getting that ahead of time (Montelukast worked wonders for me, I basically have to take it all the time now, though). Make sure you have plans on how to use those methods if you are allergic to the hay and planning on getting pigs anyway. It was worth it for me, between the different kind of hay and the meds, and sometimes masks, I haven't really had any problems after getting that all settled. But that was a rough couple weeks at the beginning.

Back