Piggies Not Drinking After Move?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluffyPigs

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I recently made a move across the country last week, and upgraded my piggies to a new cage. They have a new water bottle, and will not drink from it. Their original bottle was glass, and the current one is hard plastic. I also think that the water itself is different than the tap water we used previously.

They're staying hydrated with lots of veggies and fruit, but obviously this is not a long-term solution.

Any suggestions what might be causing the problem and how I can fix it?

Kerrie74

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Maybe they just prefer the type of bottle you used before? I tried mine with a different sort, the ball was stiffer as it was non drip, they weren't overly keen on, so I went back to the old bottle. Also have you tried filtering your water? A lot of guinea pigs owners do it :) takes the rubbish and calcium out of the water.

piggieminder

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Kerrie just made both suggestions I was going to make. They may also need time to get used to the changes.

Merrypigs Sanctuary

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
You can buy powders to put in water which make it more appetising for pigs, a bit like adding squash to water for us humans! That might encourage them :) They need to be drinking at least 40mls a day, so if you're finding they aren't reaching that amount it's time to get the syringe out I'm afraid! Could just be the stress or like the others have said the new type of water or bottle, but if they don't start drinking soon I'd double check with your vet :)

Status
Not open for further replies.