• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Piggies only come out when we're in the room with them

PeggySue23

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, first time poster here 👋 2 weeks ago we adopted two 3 month old sows (first time owning guinea pigs) and they are still very shy/skittish but we are slowly building up their confidence with hand feeding/floor time etc. Haven't managed to handle them yet.

We've noticed that if we're not in the room with them, they will mostly just stay and hide in their beds for hours, but when we go and sit on the sofa in their room and either chat to them or amongst ourselves, they will come out and be much more active and have zoomies etc - is this normal? Just a bit confused because they don't like us trying to pet them (feel like we're miles off actually picking them up) but then only seem to want to come out when we are present 🤷‍♀️ so I worry that they don't have very active days when we are out at work or busy doing other stuff as they will literally just be in their beds the whole time. Any advice much appreciated as this world of piggies is totally new to us! Thank you

Welcome to the forum.
I can’t advise on this but guinea pigs are prey animals and very few like being handled.
The fact that they are active when you are in the room suggests to me that they feel safe.
Pictures very welcome

:agr:

Also consider the time of day you are sitting in the room with them.
If it is really only evenings that you are in the room, then it is likely a lot to do with their natural habits rather than solely your presence. Piggies are crepuscular meaning when they tend to become more active naturally - evening and early morning (their wild ancestors would only be out foraging outside of the hottest parts of the day).
If they are coming out when you are in the room
Then that is a great sign that they feel comfortable

Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of guinea pigs. I have two very lazy boys, Dignified Sir George and his boisterous companion Mischievous Master Boris who are collectively known as The Beastie Boys.

Thank you for everyone's feedback! There does seem to be a trend with what time we sit with them and when they are most active so it's likely a coincidence but glad to hear they feel safe in our presence ☺️

Back