• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Piggies rumbling to certain music

Belfadin

New Born Pup
Reaction score
An audio clip (music) seems to make the piggies rumble briefly. I tested it a couple times, waited a while then again and they rumbled so is definitely this tune. Does this mean this sound annoys them? other tunes/clips played and no reaction.

If so they must have taste in music like us humans.

An audio clip (music) seems to make the piggies rumble briefly. I tested it a couple times, waited a while then again and they rumbled so is definitely this tune. Does this mean this sound annoys them? other tunes/clips played and no reaction.

If so they must have taste in music like us humans.

Hi

There are three rumbles that sound fairly similar to a new owner but have very different meaning. Please be aware that cavy communication does not just have an audible component; you also need to always take body language and situational context into account. The pheromone angle does completely evade us unfortunately. This is the reason why there is so little in terms of audio guides on sounds around - and many of them are pretty bad in my experience with lots of misinterpretations.

- A short sharp deep rumble is a sign of strong displeasure; it is often the reaction to a sudden loud noise or an activity of yours.
- Rumblestrutting - a protracted more liquid rumbling that is combined with shifting the weight from one back leg to the other ('bum wiggling') is a mild dominance behaviour that can mean anything from measuring up between boars to impressing the ladies or in sub-teenage boars just practising or expressing themselves as a boar; in sows it is usually seen during bonding, stronger seasons or in connection with ovarian cysts or a change in the group hierarchy.
- An intermittent rumble with a very relaxed body during lap time sounds like a purr and has the same meaning.

Without a video or audio I cannot tell you what you are dealing with. My guess would be the first.

Pepper rumbles, vibrates & hides when we play music, he defiantly doesn’t like it. What’s very odd is that he is not bothered about music on a Tv show, just if we play music on it’s own! It’s very odd!

Harry used to do this to certain noises and it was definitely a sign of fear/displeasure.

It is definitely the first then from listening / observing. I am used to the longer I'm a boar rumble and seeing the back end go side to side. I tested one last time just now playing them the start of this tune to observe and it started, short and deep as dscribed. The volume was very low too it must be something in the sound that is displeasing to piggies, so no more of that.

They have been content with other sound / TV shows and films.

It is definitely the first then from listening / observing. I am used to the longer I'm a boar rumble and seeing the back end go side to side. I tested one last time just now playing them the start of this tune to observe and it started, short and deep as dscribed. The volume was very low too it must be something in the sound that is displeasing to piggies, so no more of that.

They have been content with other sound / TV shows and films.
Sounds exactly the same as Pepper, he’s not the only one!

My piggies used to complain about the noise made when the kids were doing some work online/in apps. Every single time it pinged we’d hear four complaints. They had to turn the volume down but couldn’t have it off completely 🤷🏾‍♀️

Mine don't like some music, they rumble at rattling keys, the click of the phone buttons being pressed and the phone ringing. Nuggets the worst he doesn't like sound at all!

My pigs will rumble at certain noises- if the phone rings during lap time, the noises some electronics make when you press the buttons, etc. I think some noises are either new and alarming or just not pleasing to guinea pig ears!

Back