• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Piggy a bit off

Blooberry

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Our 3yr old Cinnamon was fine this morning, had breakfast as usual, hay for the rest of the day. He's now, 7pm seems a bit off and panting - flank moving in and out rapidly. Any ideas?
Worried.

Blooberry

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you everyone. The vet said: respiration is very high. Guts fine, no bloating & no signs of a blockage. Lungs sound ok and no temp. Could be respiratory infection so treat straight away with baytril and use Metacam once a day, just 0.2 - is this enough do you think? I have seen the discussions on the forum regarding Metacam dosing. If not respiratory, could be cardiac she said although this usually represents as a slow decline. Cinnamon is a bit puffed up (his coat) but he has eaten some veggies (when we got home, after meds - should we have waited?) as usual and seems a bit perkier although he's always perky around veggies. Bless him - I do love him. Such a gentleman. He's the grey one in my pic. Not sure what I think, but the vet said she will call in the morning to see how he is and suggested a radiograph if not improved.

Blooberry

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I did mention that his poos - I did check before we left are a bit smaller than normal. She didn't seem too concerned. Vets & guinea pigs - a difficult one. Wish Colin had been on call. Apparently he's the guinea pig expert at Bay Vets.

artcasper

*Rescue Buddy*
Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
aw sending healing vibes... you did good to get him seen so quickly x

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Small poops usually means he hasn’t been eating enough. Hay is the main food but you can’t gauge intake by eye - has his weight been stable until now? I would suggest weighing him daily while he is unwell. If his weight is dropping then he isn’t eating enough and will need syringe feeds.
Metacam is usually given twice a day as they process meds quickly so if only given once a day it means they are out of the system long before the next dose is due. You will need to speak with the vet about this.
I wish him a speedy recovery.

These are the guides in case you need them
Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Blooberry

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Small poops usually means he hasn’t been eating enough. Hay is the main food but you can’t gauge intake by eye - has his weight been stable until now? I would suggest weighing him daily while he is unwell. If his weight is dropping then he isn’t eating enough and will need syringe feeds.
Metacam is usually given twice a day as they process meds quickly so if only given once a day it means they are out of the system long before the next dose is due. You will need to speak with the vet about this.

Many thanks Piggies & buns. Will ask vet about the Metacam. They have tons of hay and I'm well versed with the 80% hay rule. It's the rapid respiration that is bothering me and there has been a bit of weight loss. I might just syringe feed anyway. Thanks for your best wishes.

Blooberry

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Cinnamon seems a bit brighter today but flank 'breathing' still a bit rapid. He's eating nuggets, drinking & eating hay, but turning down CC. I've ordered some more from the vet. The vet is supposed to be ringing me this morning. Do we just see how he goes on the baytril....watch and wait? :-(

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Yes you’ve got to give the Baytil time, but if you don’t see any improvement of see a worsening then obviously go back to the vet.
Keep a close daily check on his weight

Blooberry

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Many thanks Piggies & Buns. I will keep an eye on his weight. I'll collect the CC care at lunchtime and feed every 2hrs.-3hrs. I need to review the guidance on syringe feeding. How long for the baytril, 2 -3days?

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Many thanks Piggies & Buns. I will keep an eye on his weight. I'll collect the CC care at lunchtime and feed every 2hrs.-3hrs. I need to review the guidance on syringe feeding. How long for the baytril, 2 -3days?
His weight will be the guide as to how much and how often to syringe feed him
Yes a few days for it to kick in.