• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Piggy ate her plastic cage liner

Lazw

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all, OK so I'm exercising my 2 piggies in the hallway right now and to my horror I've just caught my 8 month old pig Bramble eating the corner of a puppy pad. I've investigated and she's just eaten the corner of it, she's not got into the middle part where all the floof is. I've picked her up and had a look in her mouth but clearly the plastic is long gone. Should I be worried about this? She's managed to get under the fleece and chew on it 😕

I wouldn’t think it’s anything to worry about from my personal experience. Guinea pigs are rodents and will chew and eat almost anything! Ours have chewed and swallowed the correx that makes up the base of their cage and nothing bad happened. They’ve chewed/eaten pine cones as well (part of a guinea pig toy). :)

Oh and labels! They love to eat the labels off any bedding and hidies 😂 they had a strawberry house/bed once and basically ate the whole base off it and the spots off it which was material. They’ve eaten some of the carrier bag if I accidentally leave it in the cage while sweeping them out (they’re very fast!), Leia chewed a big hole in my T-shirt before I could stop her once and they’ve even eaten the dustpan when my boyfriend left it too close to the cage! Ginger likes to chew on metal (the cage and hammock clips) and her food bowl but luckily she cant bite off and swallow metal 😂 They’ve always been fine. ❤️

Just keep an eye to make sure that she is pooping normally. Guinea pigs will chew on a lot of things... the good news is that it usually passes right through with no problems. One of mine once ate a huge chunk of a plastic bag when the kids left the hay too close to the bars... no ill effects, and it was a big chunk of the bag!

I should say that I wouldn’t recommend giving them chance to eat these things that they probably shouldn’t be but if you use the search tool you will find lots of similar posts where they’ve nommed something up so fast! Ensure they have 24/7 access to hay, this fibre will also help with their digestion.

“ Make certain he's pooping fine. If he stops defecating, seems to be straining to poop or his abdomen feels hard, bloated, rigid or painful then you must get him to a vet immediately. Just so you know it's physically impossible for guinea pigs to throw-up/vomit.”

Thanks both, this makes me feel a little better 😂. I'm so careful to make sure they can't get at any plastic etc when they're in their enclosure but since they're exercising inside now I have to line the floor..... I only took my eye off her for a second, naughty pig! She seems fine at the moment but ill keep an eye on her.

My piggy, Vegas, started doing that recently and I have to stop her everytime she tries to do it. Thankfully after a couple of times reprimanding her, she just struts off and go somewhere else.

I had a piggy in the past who would try to eat the carpet and labels on mats, etc. I was wondering at that time why the mats had some threads removed in the corners, and then I found out Cookie was trying to eat it! Another piggy, Meemee, used to nibble on the rattan chairs we have and my laptop wire! These piggies can be naughty buggers sometimes. :whistle:

Thanks both, this makes me feel a little better 😂. I'm so careful to make sure they can't get at any plastic etc when they're in their enclosure but since they're exercising inside now I have to line the floor..... I only took my eye off her for a second, naughty pig! She seems fine at the moment but ill keep an eye on her.

They will chew anything they can get their fluffy cheeks on the troublemakers! 😂 Oh watch out for your skirting boards if they're having indoor floor time... that another thing they've chewed when I wasn't looking!

Thanks everyone! Just poo picked for today and she's strutting around as usual hoping for treats so fingers crossed she stays that way..... Yes mine do like skirting boards and for some reason, the pipe going into the bottom of the radiator but I doubt they'll chew through that 🤣

If they can get at it they will chew it. That’s what I’ve found. As long as the poop output continues ok it’s not a problem.

My guys do this all this time if I accidentally leave any dog pee pad exposed or if their bedding gets flipped over to where they can get it. Be sure to tuck it under your bedding better. My guys just chew the edge but imo it's not good either way.

Back