• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Piggy eating puppy pad!

DizzyD95

Junior Guinea Pig
My piggies have somehow managed to button under their fleece (first time this has ever happened) and have eaten some of the puppy pad! 😮 I'm really worried this is going to harm them - do I need to take them to a vet?!? I'm panicking :(

DizzyD95

Junior Guinea Pig
Thank you both for your replies! They seems fine at the moment, but in watching their every move! They're a nightmare at eating anything they shouldn't but this is definitely the worst thing they've tucked into!

Claire W

Forum Donator 2017/18
Thank you both for your replies! They seems fine at the moment, but in watching their every move! They're a nightmare at eating anything they shouldn't but this is definitely the worst thing they've tucked into!
The worst thing that mine have ever eaten are the rubber door mat and a material pull cord off of a bag

eileen

Forum Donator 2017/18
I agree with the above posters,mine occasionally nibble the edges,i do not get too concerned.just observe that they are passing feacal pellets as usual,no bloating or loss of appetite.this is very rare in the event of eating a puppypad,so try not too worry.:hug:

dannif_piggies

Teenage Guinea Pig
I'm pleased someone else has posted about this tbh, since Honey had her operation, she's become obsessed with chewing everything she shouldn't! Including puppy pads, sometimes I think Ive tucked them well away, and out of reach, but nope, she still gets to them, sometimes she's had a meal from them before I get to notice! 😱

Bill & Ted

Adult Guinea Pig
Have you tried newspaper, this is quite safe to use, the print is not poisonous nowadays as they are plant based and you can compost them too if you have a garden and compost bin x

dannif_piggies

Teenage Guinea Pig
Have you tried newspaper, this is quite safe to use, the print is not poisonous nowadays as they are plant based and you can compost them too if you have a garden and compost bin x
Ive tried this in the past and found it smelt worse, might just be my experience though? I guess everyone is different with preference 😊

MomoMura

Junior Guinea Pig
Mine used to be crazy for the puppy pads. In our case, he mostly chewed it and ripped it rather than actually consuming it, so we never had any health problems. I would keep a close eye on them, though, just in case :)