• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Piggy eating puppy pad!

DizzyD95

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My piggies have somehow managed to button under their fleece (first time this has ever happened) and have eaten some of the puppy pad! 😮 I'm really worried this is going to harm them - do I need to take them to a vet?!? I'm panicking :(

I want to add they did this last night and have been popping, eating and drinking fine since. But I am SO upset and worried.

Don't panic as @Claire W says, mine do it sometimes if I don't tuck the edges of the pad under the fleece enough they pull them out. Just keep an eye out that they are acting normally and pooing and weeking okay.

Thank you both for your replies! They seems fine at the moment, but in watching their every move! They're a nightmare at eating anything they shouldn't but this is definitely the worst thing they've tucked into!

Thank you both for your replies! They seems fine at the moment, but in watching their every move! They're a nightmare at eating anything they shouldn't but this is definitely the worst thing they've tucked into!

The worst thing that mine have ever eaten are the rubber door mat and a material pull cord off of a bag

I agree with the above posters,mine occasionally nibble the edges,i do not get too concerned.just observe that they are passing feacal pellets as usual,no bloating or loss of appetite.this is very rare in the event of eating a puppypad,so try not too worry.:hug:

I'm pleased someone else has posted about this tbh, since Honey had her operation, she's become obsessed with chewing everything she shouldn't! Including puppy pads, sometimes I think Ive tucked them well away, and out of reach, but nope, she still gets to them, sometimes she's had a meal from them before I get to notice! 😱

Have you tried newspaper, this is quite safe to use, the print is not poisonous nowadays as they are plant based and you can compost them too if you have a garden and compost bin x

Have you tried newspaper, this is quite safe to use, the print is not poisonous nowadays as they are plant based and you can compost them too if you have a garden and compost bin x
Ive tried this in the past and found it smelt worse, might just be my experience though? I guess everyone is different with preference 😊

I usually use newspaper! But thought I'd try something new - think I'll be going back to the paper to be honest!x

Mine used to be crazy for the puppy pads. In our case, he mostly chewed it and ripped it rather than actually consuming it, so we never had any health problems. I would keep a close eye on them, though, just in case :)

Back