• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Piggy Fell ! Dragging legs! Help!

Bigheartlittlefeet

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey guys, my little J is 5 years old and I supplement her diet daily with a syringe of probiotics and immune booster ( per vet ) and last Sunday when I went to wrap her in her towel to feed her she slipped and fell on the counter. I was mortified. She is now dragging her back legs. Aside from the legs she is otherwise her chipper self and eating, drinking and playing in the hay with her cage mate. She’s had xrays and the vet couldn’t find anything wrong. It’s been a week. Has anyone had this happen ? You can imagine I’ve been distraught over this. She’s my heart. Thoughts ?

This Tuesday. She said that she didn’t seem at all like she’s in any pain and I agree. She’s her happy self. BUT .. vet had said if she had felt she was in pain that I should put her down. During initial visit she said come back in a week. I’ve read that they can get paralysis temporarily and then it goes away. Is this true ?

Sorry to hear this, sometimes after a fall a piggy can get a temporary paralysis of their back end due to bruising/swelling that is pressing on the nerves in the spine. Sometimes this resolves ok over 2 or 3 weeks with anti-inflammatory pain relief as you have been prescribed, though in an older piggy especially they may need to stay on the metacam long term.
@Betsy had a similar injury in handsome boar Christian I believe that went from leg dragging to a fairly good recovery in a couple of weeks? Maybe she can link in Christian's thread for you as it seems like it might be a similar sort of injury?

Back