Piggy 'for Thought'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midge&Panda

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm trying at the moment to get Eva to Teas (another post). I had a look at the train journeys and all seems good for a train trip or so I thought. There is a bit on there about dogs cats and small animal being allowed to travel as hand luggage providing they are in a suitable container. Brilliant I thought Just to find out know if she would stay with me or have to be stored somewhere (that sounds terrible). So after speaking to 3 different people I have been told guinea pigs are classed as 'livestock' along with cows sheep and goats. This is because they are called pigs. Having had 3 very heated discussions trying to explain they are nothing of the sort I have been told to contact the train operator direct. Think I might lie and say she's a funny looking cat or a rat who has lost his tail.

Goth Mummy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I would just walk on confidently with the carrier in a large cotton tote bag if necessary and sit it on on your lap. I dont think anyone would look twice, I always see small dogs and cats in carriers and I saw a bunny in a carrier last time I was going to London by train.

Chief Guinea Pig

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I would just walk on confidently with the carrier in a large cotton tote bag if necessary and sit it on on your lap. I dont think anyone would look twice, I always see small dogs and cats in carriers and I saw a bunny in a carrier last time I was going to London by train.
I wish smuggling them in a hotel was that easy!

Goth Mummy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I wish smuggling them in a hotel was that easy!
Have you tried? I have had a poorly guinea pig needing syringe feeding in a carrier under my desk in my office, and I work in a large open office, and no one even realised. Though the thought of guinea pigs in a hotel makes me think of the Fawlty towers episode Basil the Rat ;)

Chief Guinea Pig

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Have you tried? I have had a poorly guinea pig needing syringe feeding in a carrier under my desk in my office, and I work in a large open office, and no one even realised. Though the thought of guinea pigs in a hotel makes me think of the Fawlty towers episode Basil the Rat ;)
No lol! It's obvious they would find them when they clean the room!
Aw bless :)

Goth Mummy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Slightly off topic I know but the Walpole Bay Hotel in Margate let you take guinea pigs, hamsters, dogs etc to stay with you. The lady who ran it told me that if my pet would fit through the front door, it could come and stay LOL. We have stayed in several hotels with the dog, its worth asking about caged small animals ;)

Mrs Sport_Billy

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I know Wiebke and merrypip have travelled on trains with pigs - maybe worth asking them how they organised it.

Midge&Panda

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Luckily my wonderful husband is driving to Teas on Tuesday with Eva and Caitlin (daughter). I can't go, I'm back at work. Although I will phone the train company head office on Monday and ask them about the rules for travelling piggies.

Winifred

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Unbelievable. What is this world coming too. I wouldn't mind if you sat next to me on a train with piggies. It'd pass the journey quicker! Good luck

Veggies Galore

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Tell them they are hamsters, a lot of people can't tell the difference!
So true. It really annoys me, that one!
Me too !

I've travelled on a train with guinea pigs. As long as they're in an appropriate carrier, I 'don't see what the problem is. I'd be interested to hear the answer from the train company.

Last edited:

Goth Mummy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Even my husband gets confused between the guinea pigs and the hamster *shakes head in despair*.

Freela

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Livestock because the name ends with 'pig?' How weird! Tell them you have an exotic cavia porcellus that needs to be transported by train... you won't be lying, after all!

Status
Not open for further replies.