• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Piggy Friend For Single Piggy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyanna

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I just adopted a new piggy from a rescue! We introduced them, and all seemed okay, so I took piggy home. A lot of mounting from my single piggy Nugget. They're sitting together right now with the occasional grumbling and mounting but so far it seems good. Does it sound good? No biting or even really nibbling.

Hi @Tyanna I'm no expert and all our VERY knowledgeable friends in the UK are sleeping but hope they continue to get along.

I guess Nugget must be a male, eh? Are you sure his new friend is male too?

I'm not sure what the quarantine process is for introducing new piggies. Someone on here is sure to answer your questions before you wake up ;)

Hi @Tyanna I'm no expert and all our VERY knowledgeable friends in the UK are sleeping but hope they continue to get along.

I guess Nugget must be a male, eh? Are you sure his new friend is male too?

I'm not sure what the quarantine process is for introducing new piggies. Someone on here is sure to answer your questions before you wake up ;)

That is what the rescue said, a male. Also, they said quarantine wasn't truly needed since they did proper quarantine while he has been at the rescue. I sure hope they counties to get along too! I would think by now I would know if they wont, but I'll for sure be keeping an extra eye on them and my ears listening!

During introductions at the rescue and at home, they were kept in a neutral area. When I put them together in a cage, I changed out all fleece so that there was no scent from Nugget so it was as neutral as possible for both. There is also two of everything in the cage, even food and hay!

Sounds good. Our two males humped each other a lot the first hour together too but then they settled down. Now they get along fabulously.

Sounds good. Our two males humped each other a lot the first hour together too but then they settled down. Now they get along fabulously.

I can't wait to see! I was super nervous to bring home another piggy worrying Nugget wouldn't accept.

It's wonderful when the bonding goes well and you see how happy Nugget is. They really need a companion because we can't love them every minute of the day! Post pictures soon!

They're laying together in a hidey right now, so I don't want to interrupt haha! I'll definitely be posting photos soon! I'm still thinking of the perfect name!

It sounds like they are getting along fine. I wouldn't worry about the humping. It seems to be something 2 boys just like to do. I've had Hazelnut since he was 11 weeks & he is now 4 years old. Peanut Butter I got at 4 weeks & he is now 3 years old. After all these years they STILL hump each other with PB being the worst offender. PB had to be neutered due to prostate trouble & it has made no difference to his humping Hazelnut.

It's lovely news that Nugget has a new friends :) Can't wait for pictures!

I just adopted a new piggy from a rescue! We introduced them, and all seemed okay, so I took piggy home. A lot of mounting from my single piggy Nugget. They're sitting together right now with the occasional grumbling and mounting but so far it seems good. Does it sound good? No biting or even really nibbling.

It sounds good. Mounting and rumbling are very normal activities with boars, especially during the dominance phase. ;)
Here are our tips and lists of acceptable/not acceptable behaviours:
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/dominance-behaviours-in-guinea-pigs.28949/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/introducing-and-re-introducing-guinea-pigs.38562/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/boars-a-guide-to-successful-companionship.76162/

Thanks for the responses! I will be able to take photos after work.

I split the cage in half just for the night (I take medication to help me sleep, I was worried I would be in too deep of a sleep to hear if anything happened) -- and somehow Nugget got to the other side, but the barrier was still there! I don't know how he did it..

I also saw him stealing food out of new piggy's mouth. :blink:

Thank you! These links were great. I might've read over it, but how long does the dominance stage usually last? I know there'll be occasional behavior like this, but right now it's a lot of it.

Please do not separate; Nugget is truly desperate (and determined) for company and there is nothing you should be worried about. The dominance phase can last from a few days to a few weeks, but the intensity and frrequency should slowly decrease. Stealing food or hugging food bowls and chasing the underpiggy out of a hidey (ideally you have got only hideys with two exits for the time being) are very typical behaviours for this stage.

Oh shoot! Well, Nugget found his way over himself, but I will not do that anymore. I guess my nerves got to me, I was worried a bad fight might happen. Thank you for letting me know! If a bad fight were to happen, would it have happened by now or is it still possible? I have two of everything (even food piles!), and I've made hideys that have two exits, too.

Oh shoot! Well, Nugget found his way over himself, but I will not do that anymore. I guess my nerves got to me, I was worried a bad fight might happen. Thank you for letting me know! If a bad fight were to happen, would it have happened by now or is it still possible? I have two of everything (even food piles!), and I've made hideys that have two exits, too.

A fight can happen any time during the dominance phase, but the vast majority will happen right at the start. As long as do not see any signs that are more than moderately dominant, I would really not worry. How old is Nugget's new companion? Am I right that both are still less than 4 months old? if they are younger, they bond much easier as the big hormones have not yet hit.

A fight can happen any time during the dominance phase, but the vast majority will happen right at the start. As long as do not see any signs that are more than moderately dominant, I would really not worry. How old is Nugget's new companion? Am I right that both are still less than 4 months old? if they are younger, they bond much easier as the big hormones have not yet hit.

From what I was told they are around 4 months old. Specific birthdays were not known for either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back