• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Piggy Grooming Services?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiny

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So, Willow and I have had another - what can only be described as - FIGHT over cutting her rear hair. She hates it! She doesn't bite (thankfully) but she gets really squirmy, distressed, panicky and very vocal. It's a job that needs to be done, but because it seems to be so traumatic for her I chop quickly and quite haphazardly, and don't feel I do a 'proper' job. She's the only piggy I've ever had to do haircuts with (previous pigs were short-haired breeds). I sometimes I feel I spend more time and effort on her hair than mine (I have short hair :)))! Marble, a floofy Aby/Peru type pigtato, has beautifully silky and non-tangly hair!

My question is, before I start Googling and making a fool of myself, does anyone here get their pigs professionally groomed? Does such a thing exist? It's one of those weird questions you'd never thought to ponder on until faced with an uncooperative pig :))

Not sure about professional groomers, but I would probably start by asking the vet nurses at your local practice.
They might be the best ones to offer her a quick trim on a regular basis.
Good luck.

When I had a long hair piggie it was always a two woman job. Amazing how squirmy a little piggie can be.

If you put your fingers between the skin & the hair you want to cut, mine are fine. Have you got someone to hold the front end & I find them quieter if they have they're eyes covered too.

Yes - I was thinking about asking at the vets! I know one of the vet nurses has 11(!) piggies so she may know :)

If you put your fingers between the skin & the hair you want to cut, mine are fine. Have you got someone to hold the front end & I find them quieter if they have they're eyes covered too.
That's kinda the issue - no one I know would be willing to share the job :(

I was thinking about taking my two boys (Peruvian and Crested Merino) to a groomer as well because I hate cutting their beautiful hair off :( I wish that they were as common as dog groomers, would be lovely to get them pampered!:))

:hmm: I'm still searching around, hopefully somebody somewhere will of set up a business!

The pet store might? Or the vet?

Some things to think about when cutting Willow's hair:
  1. Try asking someone to hold her for you
  2. Turn her so she can see you and is less frightened
  3. Give her a bowl of her favorite veggies to chew on while you cut her hair
  4. Cut the hair in small sections
  5. Don't cut choppy, take your time
  6. When you're done reward her with a piece of fruit or a treat
I hope I helped!

Why would anyone turn down the offer of holding a cute pig :luv:

There is a local pet supply company here (Pet Valu) that does offer grooming/nail clipping services for small animals once a month. They don't widely advertise it, but every time I go there for small animal supplies, they let me know it's available and when the next drop-in grooming/nail clinic is. This is in Canada and I'm not sure if every location offers it, but I do know that the one where I pick up most of my supplies does. It might be worth asking around some similar places in your area to see if anyone has that service but doesn't make it widely known.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back