• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Piggy hair trim

Zoedarl

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey all,

One of my pigs, Ozzy, has super long hair that is non stop growing. I brush his hair regularly, but the hair around his butt keeps matting. - I was trying to comb as much as I could out yesterday, and he wouldn't stop squeaking as it was pulling and clearly uncomfortable for him. - so I was thinking about cutting the hair around his back end to get rid of the knots and hopefully leave it more manageable. I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to do it, and what equipment etc I would need. Any help would be appreciated.

Here's a pic of my ozzy showing off his beautiful locks. IMG_20200223_185031.jpg

Hi- I have a long haired piggie and there was a thread recently about grooming. I added on here what I do which might help? It shows the basic equipment I use.

If your piggie is squeaking it may mean that its hurting a little due to matting/knots. If you use a soft bristle brush and they still wont come out, they may need snipping off gently. I'm certainly no expert but happy to help you 😊 stunning piggie by the way!

Help needed for Forum Piggy Hair Cuts and General Grooming Guide Please

Hi- I have a long haired piggie and there was a thread recently about grooming. I added on here what I do which might help? It shows the basic equipment I use.

If your piggie is squeaking it may mean that its hurting a little due to matting/knots. If you use a soft bristle brush and they still wont come out, they may need snipping off gently. I'm certainly no expert but happy to help you 😊 stunning piggie by the way!

Help needed for Forum Piggy Hair Cuts and General Grooming Guide Please
Ah yes that was the thread! Really good. You transformed your piggy into a completely different colour and everything 😊

Hey all,

One of my pigs, Ozzy, has super long hair that is non stop growing. I brush his hair regularly, but the hair around his butt keeps matting. - I was trying to comb as much as I could out yesterday, and he wouldn't stop squeaking as it was pulling and clearly uncomfortable for him. - so I was thinking about cutting the hair around his back end to get rid of the knots and hopefully leave it more manageable. I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to do it, and what equipment etc I would need. Any help would be appreciated.

Here's a pic of my ozzy showing off his beautiful locks. View attachment 134301
I have a short-haired girl but recently has started to develop a tail of hair by her bum lol. To stop it getting matted and dirty I just cut it using normal scissors. I have no experience with long-haired piggies, unfortunately :(

I have a long hair guinea pig who also gets matts around his butt. I would recommend cutting of any matts or big locks of hair with a pair of kitchen (large) scissors. That's what I do, and it works for me. 😉

Back