• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Piggy health warning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might be worth letting Wendi know would you like me to e mail her

Yes definitely let her know. She can get in touch with me if she wants. My vet is away on holiday until week beginning Monday 18th August, but I am sure if she wanted to speak to him too, he would be more than happy to help. It could have been something very different but its definitely worth looking into.

I will pm you with my phone no and email address. Please pass them on to Wendi in case she wants to speak with me.

I have another e mail this morning and its affecting males and females equally and those piggies affected have been 2-5 years of age.

Stickied means this topic is permanent (unless unstickied by a mod) and can be found easily at the top of general chat to be read or added to :)

This sounds like poisoning rather than an infection.
Ragwort has been suggested on another forum.

Any chance of finding out what feed they have been given
1) Brand of pellets or mix
2) Brand of hay or local baled hay (2007 or 2008 hay)
3) Where veg or grass comes from - which stores for veg, grass from roadside etc.
4) Any medication/shampoo etc.

Possibly someone can spot a link.

Are the cases localised or are they up and down the country?

OK going to ask the stupid question, is it zoonotic, my kids feed and water the pigs for me, only the last major illness i had in my herd was zoonotic and i had to keep the children away,

I know its silly to ask but, well you know better safe than sorry??:red

The case have been up and down thoe country, I am going to the physios soon but will e mail Wendi when I get back

I'm wondering if it is from grasses, insects that soil the grass perhaps its something from over seas. I do tend to think like Juniper that it is some kind of posion.

No point second guessing though, I hope they get to the bottom of it.

Will see what else I can find out tomorrow when I see Wendi. Will update this thread with any new information.

It dosnt sound nice i had 2 guinea pigs that died i dont think they had that though I'm sorry by the way. Charlotte xx8...

Any updates Is this going on in the usa I would like to know so i know if i need to check mine.

I would check out my piggie, but i dunno how i'm gonna look into her mouth ?/ i know she wouldn't let me.

What's this down to? it sounds like these guinea pigs have eaten apples or some citric fruit? I'll be on the look out x

my pigs have apples are they not meant to a guide i read said they could but not all the time my pigs love granny smiths.

hmm... This sounds serious...I better keep an eye on my pigs and this post...If you get anymore info, please pass it on to me :)

This is an old thread!

Although, I must admit, I was interested to read it, given my Holly and her mysterious mouth problem/weight loss. The vet couldn't see anything wrong in her mouth other than lots of undigested materials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back