Piggy Igloos

Status
Not open for further replies.

natz88

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have a piggy igloo in my cage as one method of shelter for my piggys. The past few days I have come home from work to find that it has been upturned. I can only presume that Ginny has done it as I don't think Bobbi would be strong enough yet at 15 weeks old. Apart from putting stones or something heavy on top to stop her doing this does anybody else have any better ideas? My piggy igloo is the type that looks like a castle with a flat roof.

I had this problem too, and often found them at the opposite end of the cage! I gave up with them and bought then some wooden arch type ones instead which I find are much better.

I have a piggy igloo in my cage as one method of shelter for my piggys. The past few days I have come home from work to find that it has been upturned. I can only presume that Ginny has done it as I don't think Bobbi would be strong enough yet at 15 weeks old. Apart from putting stones or something heavy on top to stop her doing this does anybody else have any better ideas? My piggy igloo is the type that looks like a castle with a flat roof.
No, I don't have any ideas apart from putting something onto. I have been searching for ages for those kind of igloos, were did you get yours from?

Mine flip over the pigloo occasionally, but not that often. I've though about getting something heavier, but as Sundae likes to walk around dragging the pigloo with her like a turtle in a shell, I figured she would be mad if I changed the lightweight plastic to something heavy!

I stitched a bit of fabric to mine (or cotton) and then tied to around the cage to stop it from going anywhere lol. I dont know if that makes sense its really hard to explain!

Not to say the pigloos are not good as i have 2 of them, but I've replaced mine with straw houses as my boys much prefer them. I place news paper on the inside base and then fill the straw house with bedding hay. Pigloos are a cheaper option though as the Straw-houses will need replacing as they are a very tasty boredom breakers for any piggie!

Last edited:
I think they like to play with them:) Barney, likes to furniture move all the time! He shoves things about with his nose, when I try and make the run all neat! Very cute, you can get wooden ones or I got a different type that clips together in a rectangle domes shape actually I have a few sorts of hideys:) if they like to play with the pigloo, maybe you can put some empty plastic pots in the run for your piggies to play with, they may leave the pigloo alone for a while lol :)

I just bent a grid square and covered it with fleece. My girls love it because it has two entrance or exits

Not to say the pigloos are not good as i have 2 of them, but I've replaced mine with straw houses as my boys much prefer them. I place news paper on the inside base and then fill the straw house with bedding hay. Pigloos are a cheaper option though as the Straw-houses will need replacing as they are a very tasty boredom breakers for any piggie!

Now I'm intrigued- what do the straw houses look like? &where did u get them from?
Xx

I stitched a bit of fabric to mine (or cotton) and then tied to around the cage to stop it from going anywhere lol. I dont know if that makes sense its really hard to explain!
I can see what you mean there. I have one igloo that has little ties on it.

Thankfully the girls do not really squish any of the hideys. They just like to shift them around the cage.

Now I'm intrigued- what do the straw houses look like? &where did you get them from?
Xx
You can get these at most pet stores, I got mine at our local Squires garden center for £14 each, Tubby likes the front chewed off his house, Dom likes to play peek-a-boo
20150122_162600.webp 20150123_211216.webp

Last edited:
One of my piggies likes to flip over the igloos and as soon as hes flipped it over he jumps in it really fast so it rocks like he is in a boat! He also likes to lift it and peep out from underneath it if he thinks theres anything going on that he needs to see, i dont know why he just doesnt use the entrance, too boring maybe!

Seems upturned or moved igloos is a common problem,we gave up on ours when I had two guineas.We bought a small sized plastic dog basket turned it upside down and they both would shelter in it like a hidey hole.

Mine flip them all the time. I just put them back up again. They enjoy sleeping in them, its just when Ryou is chasing Sakurai they end up being knocked over in the process. Doesn't bother me really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back