• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Piggy nail trims!

PigglePuggle

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am very proud of myself and the piggies, we achieved home nail trims this afternoon! Usually we go to the vet nurse but Jezzy's poor old crusty curly nails looked quite bad, and we dont have a free day to go to the vet nurse with 8 piggies until the Christmas holidays... plus with my roof leak expenses, 8x£9.50 is quite a big expense for toenails...
So I trimmed nails! Well, mostly. Jezzy was an absolute floofy angel, she's well used to having her weekend foot clean and massage so she barely noticed the nails being done too. Blod was also very good, she was having a bum bath and some clumpy gunk trimmed out of her bum fur anyway. Piggle let me do 3 of her feet before she started writhing around like a snake and bit me. Puggle let me do her back feet, her front ones looked ok. Theo wouldnt co-operate as I think he sensed it might be willy check day (he wedged his big boar behind firmly in the haycube and wouldnt shift until he was back in the cage!) so I'll grab him tomorrow when he isnt expecting it and have a go then!
Poor big pig Clover wasnt having it at all, she's not keen on being messed about with, but she still got a parsley reward and her lovely big ears kissed for being briefly held in a nail trim position and letting me touch her feet, so we'll stick with that for today and maybe do one foot at a time :)
Well done piggywigs!

You could've clipped Comet's nails all day and he'd mostly only moan because he can't eat if you're clipping his nails. I remember asking a friend if they'd help me with Blitzen's nails, and they agreed...and then I had to warn them he'd probably bite. And he did. :td:

Oh! This was Comet's "but why" expression. He was very good at it.
butwhy.jpg

Also, as far as Blitzen goes, I should note he was okay about being handled. He was actually easier to get ahold of than Comet. He just never got comfortable with grooming...kind of a pain, what with his long fur and black feet.

Oh! This was Comet's "but why" expression. He was very good at it.
View attachment 126601

Also, as far as Blitzen goes, I should note he was okay about being handled. He was actually easier to get ahold of than Comet. He just never got comfortable with grooming...kind of a pain, what with his long fur and black feet.
I'm not going to attempt the dark feet anytime soon, Ollie and Tallulah can still go see the vet nurse at Christmas! Neither of them are keen on handling at all anyway, we have an understanding and a designated fleecy tube that they happily go in for moving about if it avoids a cuddle (and in Tallulah's case avoids cold hooman hands on her warm chocolate naked hippo skin!)

There are a few black feet between my two boys. Everything goes well until I get to those and then everything slows down, the boys get more wriggly and louder and it can get a bit tense! I usually manage to get them done but end up with eye strain from staring so hard at their feet!

I was a nervous wreck the first time I did the girls nails, but they are all good as gold having their nails done so it's makes it so much easier. It's just the brushing they hate Alisa has a right diva strop you would think the brush was giving her an electric shock the way she jumps about and screams 😂

I only tried nail trims once before about 15 months ago and managed 2 nails on one foot of one piggy before both me and Piggle gave up on the job! The main herd are all older and much more relaxed around us now though so it was well worth having another go. I was still very nervous though, especially when Clover started squealing that she was being murdered before I even picked up the nail clippers!

I only tried nail trims once before about 15 months ago and managed 2 nails on one foot of one piggy before both me and Piggle gave up on the job! The main herd are all older and much more relaxed around us now though so it was well worth having another go. I was still very nervous though, especially when Clover started squealing that she was being murdered before I even picked up the nail clippers!
They are such little drama queens lol

Thanks for reminding me, I must do bernies, I done dots myself, but I need 2 people for Bernie
We went with the 2 person approach, piggy daddy holding the piggy and me wielding the nail clippers! 2 people isnt quite enough for Clover though, even one of the vet nurses (who had single handedly trimmed the nails of a german shepherd dog just before we went in) once had to send Clover home with one front foot not trimmed because even with piggy daddy trying to hold Clover still "she just wouldnt let me do it" !

Ted is quite good, but Bill shrieks like a banshee as soon as he sees what’s happening. I have 7 black feet between them 😟

At nail trim time (next week for all 4 piggies IF I can find the clippers) Dennis just lays on his back relaxed as anything and lets me trim his nails, Christian used to be a complete diva and it was guinea pig "sausage roll" time for him but now he just sits on my lap with his back next to my tummy and lets me get on with it, Betsy doesn't like it at all at all and tries to nip (mind you she does have an excuse as she can hardly see so doesn't really understand what is happening) and Meg is just hard as she has 3 black feet and 1 black toe on the other foot.

Back