• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Piggy not eating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi all, I haven't posted on here in a long while but one of my pigs has me stumped so looking for advice really.
Jasper is 4, he has a history of UTI's but hasn't had an episode for over a year now.
Anyway, on Thursday night I noticed there were some pellets left in the bowl but he was still lively and munching his veg fine so left it until Friday. By Friday night he was very lethargic and not really interested in eating. He had runny eyes and I thought I could hear occaisional clicks from his breathing. I syringed mushed pellets and water and separated him. On Sat morning his eyes were clear and I couldn't hear any clicks, he hadn't eaten anything and there were only a few poops in his cage, he did some runny and soft poops whilst I was feeding him and he was quite gassy. The vet decided it was bloat/gas and gave me some painkillers for him.

So he's had the painkillers over the weekend with 0.15cc of Infacol twice a day and lots of syringed feeds, the gas seems to have gone, his poos are extremely small but formed. He's still very lethargic, doesn't come out of his house at all, won't eat hay or pellets or drink his water. he will nibble a small piece of carrot or brocculi (his favourites) but not much and it takes him a long time to eat it. He's not drooling or anything like that but he's off to the vets again this afternoon.

Does anyone have any advice on what else to feed him? He's on warm mushed pellets and probiotics. I have some science selective recovery but wanted to keep him on pellets as long as possible for the fibre. I'm worried he's not getting any fresh veg and obviously I have no idea what's wrong with him.

Sorry it's an essay. Thanks

Could you puree some of his favourite veg in a food processor or something so he could find it less of an effort to eat (or maybe you could syringe feed that) ? I've given my dental piggy that and also bran or porridge mixed with warm water and cooled a bit.

Is he losing weight ?

I'm guessing the vet checked his teeth and the lack of interest in food is due to the lethergy rather than some mouth/dental problem ?

Hope he picks up soon

xx

Here is a useful list of what could cause his loss of appetite:
http://www.guinealynx.info/anorexia.html

Have you made sure that he is getting enough water and vitamin C? Is he very limp or hunched up - pain is a potent appetite killer. Has your vet excluded URI?

Veg should only make 15-20% of the daily intake; the mainstay should be hay. By mushing up hay based good quality pellets, you are putting him on the most important thing, which is fibre.

Well we've been to the vet and he doesn't know what's wrong with him. He's given me some baytril for him to cover any kind of infection but he couldn't hear anything on his chest so he doesn't think it's an URI. There was too much food in his mouth for him to see his teeth and he had no more ideas. He was talking about maybe doing an xray on his teeth but to be honest I don't want anyone messing with his teeth when they obviously haven't got too much piggy experience.

I'm going to give him the baytril because he had blood in his wee yesterday and he has a history of bladder issues but basically I could do with a vet recommendation. I'm on the Warrington/Wigan border in the North west. I checked the recommended vet list and couldn't see anyone near me.

I'll keep up the probiotic and syringe feeding. I'll add some vit c supplement. his weights been stable the past 2 days but he's only 735g which is a good 170 g lighter than his lower weight range.

I kept my old piggy running on baby food (vegetarian obviously, which is harder to find) for a very long time throughout his life. He wasn't keen on the green mush that the vet gave me, but putting probiotic powder in water didn't do any harm either.
Whatever poorly piggies want, poorly piggies get. All the luck in the world x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back