• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Piggy off legs

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mizipig

Hi all so sorry not got back to you since mizipig was diagnosed with cancer. She is still going really well.
The problem I have now is with Holly pig. She has gone off her legs, well she just does not move her back legs. She can get about and turn around in her hidy hole.
I have tried liquid calcium for the past three days and she is eating lots and lots. She does not squeak when I touch her and seems really well aprt from this.
I have spoken to the vet and he thinks it is a stroke, but she is ok aprt from that and the vet says to put her to sleep, but she is so alert and eating lots.
I did notice yesterday that she felt very boney on her haunches and every day twice a day I put her fresh hay and clean her and her area. I dont want to feel like I am keeping her alive just for me but I dont kow what to do. If I take her to the vets they will put her to sleep. I am going to try vit C tonight I am trying anything. She has lots of veg and pellets every day so I think the vit c is just a last resort really.
Thanks so much to all of you

x mandy holly mistletoe twinkle and sparrow

I had a very similar problem a couple of weeks ago, my boar Ralfie had a fall and his back legs stopped working :'( is there any way Holly could have knocked her back legs?! Anyway, Ralfie had x-rays and the vet said nothing was broken so it was probably nerve damage and he'd probably never walk again, she said it would be kinder to put him down. Because Ralfie was fine otherwise, eating, drinking and getting about i didnt think it was fair to end his life when he wasn't in pain so i decided to leave him be and clean him regularly, i thought that if he got worse and was in pain i'd consider pts because it would be kinder. However, about 10 days after his accident his legs started to move a bit more and after 2weeks he was completely back to normal. It's scary to think that if i'd listened to the vets Ralfie wouldn't be here now and he's perfectly healthy. I know it's not the same situation but all i will say is that vets can be wrong and piggies can be miracles, we never thougt in a million years he's make a full recovery. Everyone advised me to give Ralfie time and attention and in the end that's all he needed. I'd say just carry on with what you're doing and there's always a chance she will get better, If she gets worse and you feel pts would be kinder then decide then but at the moment i'd say give her some more time, it sounds like you're doing a good job. Cycle her legs to keep the muscles going and maybe try swimming therapy? It didnt help Ralfie but may help Holly? Put a barrier cream on her legs were they may get wet to prevent sores and try not to let her sit in one place for a long time. Hope she gets well soon.
Love Emma x

Awwww what a difficult situation :( I think you are doing the right thing at the moment and you will know when the time is right. Just keep doing what you are doing and check she is in no pain bless her keep us updated. I hope there is some one on here that can offer you some good advice ;)

How old is Holly pig? If she is an oldie, it could be arthritis? As your vet says, possibly a stroke. I agree with jnenbnb, keep doing what you are doiing. She seems happy in herself and not in pain, so the main thing is not to let her get sores from weeing on herself.
Have a look at Peter gurney`s website about swimming therapy and maybe gently massaging and cycling her legs will help.
Good luck :)

Is her head tilted to one side?,if not I doubt it is a stroke.Piggies can suffer from a mystery back leg paralysis.Occasionly a few days on a calcium supplement will work,but often not.The condition can last for a few days,weeks or even months.Someone I know had a piggy with this condition,and it started walking again after 9 months.Thereafter it was fine.

Massage the legs 2 or 3 times a day,and try the swimming therapy that has already been suggested.Have a look at
Petergurney.com
under paralysis.

Nurse the piggy on a vet bed,and put hay,dried grass etc in easy reach.When you put the veg bowls out,lift the piggy over to it.Do not let her just lie around all the time,and make sure she does not lie too long in the same position.

Rub some Bepanthen or similar into the pads to help prevent urine scald,and if the pads do get red or sore I can reccomend GG pad cream.

Encourage Holly to move as much as possible.Try lying her on her back and bicycling the legs,this will strengthen the muscles.Have you had an x ray done to see if there is any arthritis in the hips or leg joints,or any injury?.

I know you will not,but do not even think about pts.paralysis is reversable in most cases,arthritis can be treated,and injury can be treated and in most instances is self healing.

I reallly get irritated with vets who will not even try to find out what is wrong,it5 is just to easy to suggest pts and of course they still get some money out of you.

Hi all thanks for all your kind words. Holly will be 5 and a half in december we think as she was a rescue piggie with her mum, mistle toe and sister.
I have bathed her tonight and gave her the vit c drink. I did put her on her back and massaged her legs but she hated it and let me know it. One thing I did notice was that she has hardly any colour in her back paws at all. The front ones are nice and pink but not the back. I move her as often as possible, but she is quite thin but eating loads! She always was so robust and the chunkiest of the four that I rescued.
I will keep you posted and hopefully she gets better.
xx take care and hugs to you all
mandy and piggie tribe
xx

Are the back pads cold as well as pale?.The blood supply to the feet may be obstructed,I think maybe a visit with the vet is called for.

Hi to you all. Hope you all ok. There is still no change with holly.
I tried the swimming therapy for a few days and she has never moved her legs.
My dad has looked at piggie and says there is absolutely no movement from her back legs whatsovever. The vet has advised vit c of which have hand syringed every day.
This is really worrying me now as she is not drinking at all but still eating lots of veg and timothy hay and I change her 3 times a day.
Can anyone give advice as my vet seems to be a bit rubbish with this and the next advice is PTS if no better.
Help and thanks
x
mandy

ps her back legs and pads do feel quite cold and pale . I am grateful to any help or advice you all give
thanks mandy

I got the same with Ralfie, the vets couldnt advise anything and said if he was no better in a few days to pts, the swimming therapy had no effect on Ralfie either he just let them dangle. All i can say is give her a bit more time because these things take a while to sort themselves out, ive heard of a piggie who just miraculously got her movement back after 9 months of no movement. i'm sorry i cant be any more help, id say just keep doing what you're doing, and cycle her legs and massage them to keep the circulation going, keeping my fingers crossed for her xxxxx

Hi to you all. Sorry not been about and helping just ben poorly ,myself.
Just wanted to give you an update on Holly piggie.
She WALKS!!!
Really wierd as we went away and my neighbour was looking afetr the piggies for a week in November and she said that gradually Holly statred to come out and drink. She is walking fine now but she is really skinny and small where she used to have a big bum!
Dont know why it happened but soooo glad did not have her put to sleep.
Hugs and happy xmas to you all and here's to a better 2008
love to you all
mandy

Hi
That is fantastic news. O0 :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
Have a good Crimbo and new year.
Anne. :)

:smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
Mandy this is brilliant news :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
ahhhh what a brave little girl Holly is and clever too :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a healthy 2008 for you all :smitten: :smitten:

Oh Mandy that is such lovely news - I cried :'( What a sap I am! Well done for ignoring the loony vet! Long live Holly O0

That is fabulous new, they never cease to amaze me! Well done Holly and you :smitten: :smitten:

Merry Christmas from me and my piggies to you and yours :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back