• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

piggy only eats carrots :(

chonkychippy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
PLEASE HELP ME !

my guinea pig chippy, will not eat anything BUT carrots, his pellets, and hay. when it comes to hand feeding, he will only except carrots. ive tried offering him long pieces of romain lettuce, bell peppers, celery, apples, strawberries. he will eat nothing but carrots :( i’m worried he’s not getting enough nutrients and vitamin c . please help me !

PLEASE HELP ME !

my guinea pig chippy, will not eat anything BUT carrots, his pellets, and hay. when it comes to hand feeding, he will only except carrots. ive tried offering him long pieces of romain lettuce, bell peppers, celery, apples, strawberries. he will eat nothing but carrots :( i’m worried he’s not getting enough nutrients and vitamin c . please help me !
Be careful of feeding carrots regularly as they are high sugar content and should be fed as an occasional treat.

As long as your piggie has access to unlimited, good quality hay, that is most important. Pellets are also good but no more than one table spoon per day per adult pig should be fed.

have a look at our feeding guides for ideas

Diet Guides

I inherited one like this! I stopped giving him carrots and offered small bits of other foods, left them in the cage for a while and then removed them. It didn't take long for him to start eating most of what was on offer. The thing that got him eating the most variety though was when I introduced him to another boar who taught him what was good to eat and what was not. Does your boy live with a friend?

Is he a single piggy? Guinea pigs need companionship of their own kind. It’s a basic welfare requirement.
If he’s a single piggy, that could be why he’s not eating a large variety of vegetables. Guinea pigs are big copy cats and will copy things that their other piggy friends eat. They also learn what’s safe to eat this way too. This could be why you’re seeing issues.
Also, if a piggy wasn’t fed a large variety of veg as a baby, it can lead them to be picky their whole lives. It could also be why you’re experiencing this, however I think if there was another piggy in the mix then you’d likely see his palette expanding.

I inherited one like this! I stopped giving him carrots and offered small bits of other foods, left them in the cage for a while and then removed them. It didn't take long for him to start eating most of what was on offer. The thing that got him eating the most variety though was when I introduced him to another boar who taught him what was good to eat and what was not. Does your boy live with a friend?

he is a single piggy :( but only for right now ! my mom said we’ll be able to get him a friend once we make more room in the house :)

You’ll just have to cut out carrots (and fruit) and be more persistent with the other veg. Try cucumber, bell pepper, a sprig of coriander and a piece of lettuce. Try one veg each week and see. Put it in the cage and if it’s still there after a while then remove. Rinse and repeat. Hopefully he will learn it’s okay to eat.

When do you think you’ll be able to make the space? Do you not have space for a 150x60cm cage?

You’ll just have to cut out carrots (and fruit) and be more persistent with the other veg. Try cucumber, bell pepper, a sprig of coriander and a piece of lettuce. Try one veg each week and see. Put it in the cage and if it’s still there after a while then remove. Rinse and repeat. Hopefully he will learn it’s okay to eat.

When do you think you’ll be able to make the space? Do you not have space for a 150x60cm cage?

right now chippy stays in our loft which is where we all hang out, watch tv, and stay together as a family. the loft isn’t very big because the tv takes up quite a lot of floor space. our only available rooms is in the basement :(

The cage requirement for a single piggie is the same as that for a pair of pigs so it shouldn't make too much of a difference in terms of space if he already has a big enough cage

How big is the cage that he’s in now?

Back