Piggy passed away

Robbie12345

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all,
Recently one of my two piggys passed away, and we've started to look for a friend for our remaining piggy as he is quite sad and lonely after losing his cage mate. We we're hoping to adopt, but we have only managed to find a pair up for adoption. They are the age and breed we were looking for, but I have a couple of questions.
Firstly, will my current guinea feel overwhelmed if we introduce two new piggys into the home as he only lived in a pair.
Secondly, that would leave us with 3 boy piggys, would that cause a problem with bonding?
Thanks!

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I’m sorry for your loss
You can’t keep three boars together in the same cage, there will be fights. Boars do better in pairs.
if you haven’t already actually phone the rescue centres as often they don’t show single piggies on their websites, and instead only show bonded pairs.
If you were to take on a bonded pair, then your single could live alongside them for interaction through the bars to prevent loneliness but they would always need to be kept separate (no floor time together etc).

Robbie12345

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I’m sorry for your loss
You can’t keep three boars together in the same cage, there will be fights. Boars do better in pairs.
if you haven’t already actually phone the rescue centres as often they don’t show single piggies on their websites, and instead only show bonded pairs.
If you were to take on a bonded pair, then your single could live alongside them for interaction through the bars to prevent loneliness but they would always need to be kept separate (no floor time together etc).
Great thank you, I thought I'd heard that before but I wasnt sure!
If I found a pair who were both girls, or one girl and one boy, would I be able to Bond my piggy with those? Or generally would bonding mine to a pair be too tricky?

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I’m sorry for your loss. You’re welcome to post about your boy in the rainbow pets section.

He can only be bonded to the sows if he’s neutered. You can’t bond him with another boar and sow pair - only one boar can be with any number of sows. They could fight over the sow(s).

I would also say don’t restrict yourself to a particular breed. You need to find your boy a friend and character compatibility will be more important than the breed. And you may also end up waiting a long one for them right one’.
Have a look at the rescue locator and see which ones to contact. Don’t discount travelling a little further if needs be. Good luck getting him a friend.
Rescue Locator

Rochester, Royford, Cambridge and Huntingdon seem to be your nearest. But look at the ones further out and send emails to them as well.

Robbie12345

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I’m sorry for your loss. You’re welcome to post about your boy in the rainbow pets section.

He can only be bonded to the sows if he’s neutered. You can’t bond him with another boar and sow pair - only one boar can be with any number of sows. They could fight over the sow(s).

I would also say don’t restrict yourself to a particular breed. You need to find your boy a friend and character compatibility will be more important than the breed. And you may also end up waiting a long one for them right one’.
Have a look at the rescue locator and see which ones to contact. Don’t discount travelling a little further if needs be. Good luck getting him a friend.
Rescue Locator

Rochester, Royford, Cambridge and Huntingdon seem to be your nearest. But look at the ones further out and send emails to them as well.
Okay, so as my boy is not neutered my best bet would be to get one other boy?
Sorry I'm new to this, my piggy is just over a year old and I got them as a pair and never considered what I would do if one of them passed this early on!
Thank you, I'll look at the rescue places!

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
It has to be a boar if you don’t plan to neuter him. You could have him neutered but he would need to wait 6 weeks before you can pair him with a sow or two.