• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Piggy Sneeze?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LousPiggies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,

Every now and again Willow makes a cute little noise that sounds like a sneeze. Sometimes it sounds a bit like she's choking though and it frightens me. I've also noticed on just a few occasions she makes this sound straight after I put her back in her cage after handling.

This doesn't happen all the time but she's the only pig I've known that does this. I have read some other threads about sneezes though and feel reasured that its fairly normal. But I'd be interested to know when is the time to worry about sneezing?

Also as sometimes I'm worried shes choking is it possible its just a more dramatic sneeze!? As she's always fine afterwards.

Thank you :-)

A little 'pfff' noise will be a sneeze. When my boys cough they sound like humans coughing. I wouldn't worry too much unless it goes on for a long time (in one coughing session) or it happens very regularly. Then it would be worth a vet visit.

Some pigs make that choke/cough noise if they eat too quickly. Some of mine have done it occasionally at snack time. Leela sneezes a lot (for some reason mostly when we handle her... maybe she is allergic to humans!) She has no nasal discharge or other signs of being sick and she has always been the sneeziest pig we've ever had, so yours is not the only one.

Some pigs make that choke/cough noise if they eat too quickly. Some of mine have done it occasionally at snack time. Leela sneezes a lot (for some reason mostly when we handle her... maybe she is allergic to humans!) She has no nasal discharge or other signs of being sick and she has always been the sneeziest pig we've ever had, so yours is not the only one.

Thankyou for putting my mind at rest!

A little 'pfff' noise will be a sneeze. When my boys cough they sound like humans coughing. I wouldn't worry too much unless it goes on for a long time (in one coughing session) or it happens very regularly. Then it would be worth a vet visit.

Thankyou, I've kept an eye on her and she hasn't sneezed much at all over the laat week or so. As you say if it starts to happen regularly I'll take her to the vets!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back