Piggy suddenly nipping me after introducing new addition

Kaylo1104

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello guys, I'm a new owner. I'll try to make this short. So I got a female about 3 months old a month ago and just got an additional female companion for her. She's about 5 months. I introduced them and cleaned the cage properly before returning them to the cage together. They are getting along and sharing food but now all of a sudden my previous piggy is now nipping me a lot when I try to pick her up. She has never done this. What could be causing this? It seems like she's nearly being protective of the new piggy or just doesn't want to be removed from the cage now that there is a new one in her space. Please help

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello guys, I'm a new owner. I'll try to make this short. So I got a female about 3 months old a month ago and just got an additional female companion for her. She's about 5 months. I introduced them and cleaned the cage properly before returning them to the cage together. They are getting along and sharing food but now all of a sudden my previous piggy is now nipping me a lot when I try to pick her up. She has never done this. What could be causing this? It seems like she's nearly being protective of the new piggy or just doesn't want to be removed from the cage now that there is a new one in her space. Please help
Hi!

It is likely that she has now got a friend and is no longer as dependent on you emotionally and socially - which is actually what you want to see.

Please read these guides so you can assert your authority and deal with the problem in a piggy way with minimal fuss ('piggy whispering'). Always assure her before and after that she is welcome and that you love her, like any socially savvy guinea pig would.
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips
Who is the boss - your guinea pig or you?