• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

"Piggy-topia"...how many piggies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
so as some of you have seen/commented on, my lovely hubby is currently building a bit of a palace for my girls, now he's thinking of making a further matching 2 levels underneath (each with a removable house) making it around 33sq ft in total. (with ramps connecting each)
This is the top/current level to give some idea (just over 10sq ft, not including the house)
IMAG0138.jpg

How many piggies could i house in that?
Thanks to your forum i'm DEFINITELY going to rescue some piggies next time, but could i get another 4 in there with my girls? eg. two more girls and a couple of neutered boys?

ps. "piggy-topia" is now what my hubby is calling the project! hahahaha! think he's a little taken with the girls!^)

each level is 4.6ft by 2.3 ft, making each 10.5ft approx. making the total over the three levels 31.7 ft - not including the elevated houses!

thanks for the advice about 1 neutered boy! will keep that in mind! x

I love your set up and piggies. As you are a new owner, I would suggest you take things slowly though and get used to how much time your piggies take up before adding too many more. When I moved from 2 to 3 piggies, it was quite a shock how much more cleaning even one piggy needed. Then there's the fact that I couldn't have them all on my lap at the same time (although there's only me here, so no one to help pick up piggies for me). I now have 4 foster pigs here. I have to cuddle on a rota basis. Floor time takes 2 hours (they all have to take turns because it's not one big group). I use fleece in the main cage and one other, so takes 3 loads of washing each change, and aubiose in the boys cages and the litter trays, so I'm getting through a lot of that.

I'm not saying any of this to put you off, and I wouldn't change what I have at all. Just take your time and enjoy your piggies while you consider all your options. :)

I have to say I agree with Flips about being cautious etc, I have a spare cage here, and coming on here all the time I have been very tempted to rescue more, but although I'm home all day, I find that juggling two young kids and two piggies takes all my time and attention and anymore additions and I'd be spread too thinly, plus there's lots of people on here who've had vet bills of £800 or so, the thought of that 4/5 times over is a bit :{

Not saying don't do it, but I would build up slowly, I reckon my piggies take up a good couple of hours a day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back