• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Piggy Weight Loss

amiloux

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone, We have Daisy who is 5 years old recently lost her cage mate through teeth issues, two months later we decided to get two baby piggies to keep her company who are now 6 weeks old, they got along great straight away, when weighing Daisy this week we noticed she has lost about 80/90g, she is also eating all veggies and hay but no pellets, so we took her to our regular exotic vet, he said everything was fine did a full check on her no lumps, breathing and digestive system are fine, but weighing her again today she has lost another 20g and seems a bit lethargic not her normal self, not sure wether to split her up from the babies as they are obviously very playful and fast and Daisy today seems slow and wants to be left alone, any advice from anyone would be so greatful, could it be we need to try a new brand of pellets to get her weight back up as she has ate the same ones for five years, I’m at a loss as what to do, thank you

Please don’t split her as that can cause stress. Start weighing her daily (at the same time) and top up with mushed pellets to try and help her stabilise/put on weight. Pellets only make up 5% of their diet so the weight loss isn’t down to that. Veg are 15% so again won’t account for weight loss. It’s likely she’s not eating enough hay, which makes up at least 80% of the diet. You can’t judge how much is eaten by eye hence the weekly weigh-in. I would take her back to the vet for another check. Were her teeth looked at?
Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Hi, yeah teeth were looked at and were fine, we are syringe feeding critical care but still another 20g weight loss today, any tips for getting her to eat more hay, we are currently topping it up with about 3 different types just to get her to eat some, thanks :)

:agr: Weight loss has nothing to do with pellets provided you are only feeding the recommended one tablespoon of pellets per day - pellets do not make up most of the diet so not eating them shouldn’t impact on them to any great extent. Weight loss is down to not eating enough hay. You must step in and syringe feed her as per the guides siikibam has linked in to prevent further weight loss.

if she’s lost more weight again today then you need to syringe feed her more often. How much critical care did you get into her - She needs to get around 60ml in a 24 hour period

how long has she lived with the new babies? is their cage big enough for three?

is she perhaps experiencing some pain somewhere which the vet hasn’t yet picked up on? I too can only suggest you speak to a different vet - something causes such sudden weight loss and yes while it can be stress, you need to ensure there is nothing medically brewing first

There isn’t really any way you can feed her hay. How much critical care are you getting into her? It needs to be 60ml in a 24 hour period if she’s not eating hay at all.

Is your vet experienced with guinea pigs? Did they find any lumps?

Hi, we have a 4x2 c and c and a 3x2 attached on in an L shape, we have syringe fed 60ml today, she’s been with the babies two weeks, yeah vet is experienced with guinea pigs, no lumps on daisy, hopefully when we weigh her again tomorrow she may have put some weight back on fingers crossed.

So if they’ve been together for two weeks then they will have only just been through a period of hierarchy establishing - it takes two weeks after introducing new piggies for their relationship to be fully sorted out. It could possibly be that she is just finding her feet following all the changes (if the vet can’t find a medical reason yet).
keep up with the daily weighing and getting as much critical care into her as you can see how she goes. If nothing improves in the next couple of days then I’d go back to the vet.
let us know how things go

Last edited:
Unexplained weight loss can be a real worry.
You’ve done everything right in getting Daisy to the vet.
The advice @Piggies&buns has given is very good advice.
Other tips for piggies losing weight are to give grated sweet potato and raw oats.
If I have a piggy who needs syringe feeding I add a little bit of mashed banana to the Critical Care - that goes down really well with mine.
Holding you in my thoughts

ECD9FF83-539A-40D4-98FF-DA5B23511C01.jpeg
Hi everyone, Daisy seems to have started to go a bit downhill since we last posted, her poops have gone soft and misshapen and she has started to lie funny with her bum in the air which is not like her at all. Her side is quite bloated we have syringe fed another 20ml just to be on the safe side she is munching on the her hay but not much, she’s also waddling a little bit when she walks, going to have to try and get another vets appointment for first thing monday morning with another vet for another opinion :(

I'm sorry your piggie is unwell.i would maybe get a vet appointment as soon as possible,bloating can be very painful,unfortunatley piggies with bloat can deteriorate very rapidly .you are doing all you can. .. :hug:

Thank you, I have been giving her massages every two hours which seems to really be helping her poop and she’s never stopped eating her hay which i’m glad of as earlier in the day she would have a few nibbles and leave it.

Thank you, I have been giving her massages every two hours which seems to really be helping her poop and she’s never stopped eating her hay which i’m glad of as earlier in the day she would have a few nibbles and leave it.

Something is clearly wrong, I would get her back to the vet. Stop giving her veg as it sounds like she does have a gut disturbance. If you are seeing signs of bloat, then given it is such aserious issue that I would not wait any longer and would get ger back to the vet straight away for treatment

Back