• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Piggy With Claw Like Extra Bit On The End Of His Penis!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stewybus

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Advice needed about Guinea Pig's protruding penis with what looks like a claw sticking out of end of foreskin. This problem was posted a few days ago on a couple of facebook groups & he's seen the vet but no conclusion was reached. I popped in today to check for myself as I too have a boar with a protruding penis which isn't like this. Today he was much nearer to normal with no swelling but the tooth like claw like thing attached to his foreskin is still there. It's quite hard to touch & I just have no clue as to what it is. I clean several old boys bits at Bunny Burrows rescue & 2 of them have protruding penises but none with this extra thing!

Does anybody know what it is?

Wow that does look strange doesn't it! O.o Sorry I can't be of any help!

oh blimey i have seen this before but i cant remember what it was, not helpful at all, but it was definately on this forum that i saw it.

@Stewybus I'm sure I've heard of this and its just a trait some pigs have. However a good person to ask might be Suzy at Glynneath rescue, I think she may have had a few piggies with this.

Advice needed about Guinea Pig's protruding penis with what looks like a claw sticking out of end of foreskin. This problem was posted a few days ago on a couple of facebook groups & he's seen the vet but no conclusion was reached. I popped in today to check for myself as I too have a boar with a protruding penis which isn't like this. Today he was much nearer to normal with no swelling but the tooth like claw like thing attached to his foreskin is still there. It's quite hard to touch & I just have no clue as to what it is. I clean several old boys bits at Bunny Burrows rescue & 2 of them have protruding penises but none with this extra thing!

Does anybody know what it is?

These are simply the two penis hooks that every male guinea pig has to have a better chance at staying long enough with a sow to get the job done! ;)
You may find this thread here helpful: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/guinea-pig-body-quirks.58854/

Cauliflower penis is what I was thinking of (and is on the list of things not to blurt out when someone says 'so, whats on your mind?') So it sounds like the spikes are just a part of that then!

Thanks for your answers so it appears to be fairly normal & some piggies are more pronounced that others. Next time I clean my boys bits I'll have to check if they have them x

In the picture above he was a bit swollen too which made it look much worse. When I saw him this evening he just had what I would call a normal protuding penis but with the hook stick out of the end about 3 to 4mm long x

As @Wiebke has said this is one of the 2 penis hooks boars have. They all have it but most don't show it. My Hazelnut seems very fond of showing off one or the other of his hooks, but I've never seen one on my 3 other boys. But then Hazelnut likes to present me with sperm rods as well, something none of the other boys have. Your boy looks very normal to me.

Agree - it's a penis hook which SHOULD NOT BE TOUCHED OR MANIPULATED BY HOOMANS
Sometimes you see them, sometimes you don't!
Looks like this guinea needs his bits re-arranging (or less meddled with) to get the hook to retract.
If the area is dehydrated/dry/sticky and won;t easily retract then Flamazine cream (as opposed to vegetable oils or sudocream) would best help get his bits retracted properly and is antibacterial so would help prevent any opportunistic infection/cystitis.
There is another aqueous-based OTC hooman product I have used before.....but I can;t find it on google atm and can't for the life of me remember what it is (blame the old-age memory loss) although it s a household name!
xx

EDIT: KY jelly!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back