• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Piggy With Injured Back Leg :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

JojoE

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, my daughter has had two rescue piggies for nearly a year and has been looking after them brilliantly. Unfortunately this afternoon she was putting one back in his run after having them out for a cuddle and he scrabbled as she got to the run and fell (she's 10 and v. responsible, it's the first time anything like this has happened). His back leg didn't look good so we immediately took him to the vets who checked him over and couldn't feel any obvious break in the leg.

The vet gave him a pain relieving injection and has suggested cage rest and has prescribed metacam for the next few days and to see how he gets on, he's hoping it might be nerve/muscle damage and that it will improve with time, but can't rule out for example a fractured pelvis. My daughter is distraught because he has been making noises like he is in pain ( although he has been eating ok and I keep checking on him and this evening he stopped making the noises-we are keeping them in the house at the moment) and he is dragging his leg around and not really wanting to move v much . Does anyone have any experience of piggies making a recovery from an injury like this?

We are taking him back to the vet in a few days to see if he has improved, I'm really worried in case he hasn't, what the likelihood is that they can do anything for him? Has anyone had experience of this? Although we will of course operate if it's needed and best for him does anyone know a ballpark vet cost for something like this?

I feel so sorry for the piggy and for my daughter, she has cared for them so well and is devastated to think that she caused his injury :(

Thanks very much

Hello and welcome to the forum! What an awful accident to happen, I bet it was scary for you and your daughter! it sounds like you've done the best thing for him by getting him to a vet. Can I ask which country you are located in, it could help us better tailor advice and possibly direct you to a more piggy savvy vet near you who has experience with this kind of problem. Sadly I can't comment on experience of limb injuries, but I do advise like the vet said on keeping him rested, the metacam should be doing it's work with pain relief. I'm sending over healing vibes and hope nothing is broken and it's just a sprain or bruising x

Hi there, whilst I can give you an idea of cost if an operation is required. what I would say is do your best to keep your piggy quiet. Remove excess play things, keep food, water and favourite sleeping area together and weigh him daily. I've found it's a fine balance between ensuring he moves around and not too much. Weighing your piggy is important because it's not easy to see if they are loosing weight. Keep a daily record was invaluable rather than relying on memory on illnesses.

It's still early after the accident so you will need to give your piggy time. Your daughter shouldn't blame herself, even in experienced hands, a piggy can be too eager to jump into where it wants to be.

Hope your all feeling better soon.

Hi,
Thanks very much for your kind words, we are in the UK. I've just got him out of the cage to give him a warm bath as his tummy was quite wet where he hadn't been able to hold it up and I don't want him to get urine burn. He doesn't seem to be holding either of his back legs v well so I'm really worried it could be his pelvis or back. He is eating fine and has taken the medicine luckily he doesn't seem to be making noises like he's in pain today. Just keeping everything crossed that with time he will improve.
Thanks again

I've just put him back in the cage and he's dragging both legs behind him now, he doesn't seem to be in pain as he's eating etc, should I follow the vets advice and wait a few days to see how he goes (unless he seems in pain before then) or should we go back today (yesterday the vet thought only 1 leg was injured). Poor little guy, so awful to see him like this :(

I would take him back today, dragging both back legs sound to me like it's something much more serious. I would definitely try and get him an emergency appointment. He may not look like he's in pain, but still could be.

Thanks Flutterby, that's what I was thinking, I can call them from 10.30, hopefully I can get a quick appt for this morning.

I have my fingers crossed for you and for him. Let us know how you get on x

We're just back from the vet, she said there was some movement and feeling in both Fudge's back legs, more in the right than left, we've opted to have an x-Ray (rather than wait and see which was suggested as another option) which is being done today and then she will call us. I'm hoping it will be a case of cage rest and pain relief rather than anything more serious. She doesn't think he's in pain, thank goodness, because of the metacam. He's at the vets at the moment, will keep you posted.

I'm glad you've managed to get him seen! I am sending healing vibes and have my fingers crossed! Hopefully the x-ray won't something too serious and everything can be sorted. *hugs* x

Thank you, I really hope so too.

How awful for you and your poor daughter. I really hope Fudge gets better soon.

Unfortunately the vet had an emergency c-section on a dog come in, which meant they ran out of time to do fudge's x ray today. I've picked him up and brought him home so he can be with his brother tonight as I thought it would be less stressful for him than staying at the vets, we have an appt for the x ray tomorrow morning.

He still is dragging both legs behind him, it's awful to see, he is eating though which is hopefully a good sign and he still isn't making noises like he's in pain so hopefully the metacam is doing its job. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Poor you and Fudge! Fingers firmly crossed for tomorrow! Good that his appetite is still there and that he is not in any acute discomfort.
Sadly, freak accidents like this can happen to anybody who has guinea pigs; piggies jumping off blindly or too early is one of the most common scenarios for injuries.

This video here may help you avoid problems in future. I also find a small walk-in cardboard box filled with some fresh soft hay and a cardboard sheet to block the exit during transport and if wished with cut-outs for hands for safer carrying helpful.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/how-to-pick-up-your-guinea-pig.126359/

Thank you, a walk in box is a very good idea, we'll have a look at the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back