• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Piggy With Possible Broken Leg Etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarnivalPiggy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I had the three piggies out today while cleaning the cage out. It was rather stressy as the fleece wasn't ready to be put in. While holding Teddy, she jumped onto the carpet when I was putting her on the floor. I admit I was holding her wrong at the time and I feel really guilty as she wheeked loudly for a few seconds before stopping. I'm not sure if she has broken anything like a leg or something similar and can't notice a limp at the moment, but since piggies are prey animals I don't know if she's hiding anything. It wasn't too high of a drop though. Any advice is appreciated :)

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Please check whether she is walking OK. A piggy with break won't be able to. Keep an eye on her and see whether she is in any discomfort or not in the next couple of days. it depends on how well/awkwardly she has landed whether there is no issue (which is the case more often than not) or whether she was unlucky.

If in any doubt, please have her checked by a vet. Accidents like these with freak jumps can happen easily.

CarnivalPiggy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies! She doesn't seem to walk with pain, but would you mind defining how a piggy with break wouldn't be able to walk properly @Wiebke ? I will upload a video from YouTube in a minute showing her walking if that's okay.

CarnivalPiggy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score

The quality is low as my iPad's camera goes fuzzy at night for some reason. I'll get a better video in the morning as this one doesn't show much to me.

Abi_nurse

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
A guinea pig with a fractured leg is unlikely to actually place any weight at all on the effected limb. I cannot see any obvious lameness on your video but I would keep a very close eye on your little one. He may have injured somewhere else. I would just also check his front teeth, falls can often result in broken front Incisors.

x

CarnivalPiggy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just checked and can't see any broken teeth. She didn't wheek at all when I picked her up, so hopefully no possibly sore spots that could've happened?

CarnivalPiggy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just checked and can't see any broken teeth. She didn't wheek at all when I picked her up, so hopefully no possibly sore spots that could've happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.