• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Piglet Is Limping Out Of Nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

piglet_and_rogers_mama

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Piglet, my most active and healthy pig, has started limping out of nowhere. He was zooming around one minute, and the next holding his back right leg and not putting weight on it. I didn't notice him doing anything that would cause an injury, and he didn't make a squeal of any kind, and his foot has no visible injury. The question is, should I make him an appointment for the vet to be seen tomorrow, or is this something that can wait a day or two to see if it improves? My boyfriend thinks we should wait, but I don't really no what to think. Opinions please!:help:

I'd ring the vets 1st thing in the morning & see if you can get him in sooner rather than later.

Can you examine his leg to see if it's broken. When Mother broke hers it was pretty obvious. In the meantime has he been prescribed Metacam before & have you any left so you can give it at the dose prescribed by your vet. When you see the vet tell them what medication you have given him.

It may be better to isolate him from the others until you can determine how bad the injury is.

Last edited:
I'd get him in to the vet's sooner rather later. If it turns out to be something that needs medical intervention, waiting can only make the condition worse & then harder to treat. I had my Hazelnut out for lap time one night where he proceeded to sneeze 6 times in a row & I noticed a clear liquid dripping from one nostril. He had not sneezed all day otherwise, so straight to the after-hours vet with him. Yup, URI, but in only 4 days of Baytril he was cured. Vet says we caught it so early the bugs didn't stand a chance!

Thanks that was what I was thinking. I unfortunately don't have any metcam for him. I just can't figure out what could have hurt him. I did buy him a tunnel made out of timothy hay, maybe he could have snagged a nail. I did see him scratch with it, so I don't think it would be broken, especially since there was no obvious trauma. And he does live by himself behind a barrier because fatty is mean to him, so as long as I don't get him out for free range time with roger he won't have to move to him. :(

could you maybe contain him in a smaller space to give him a chance to rest his leg and i do agree that a vets visit is a good idea . Hope everything is ok

How is Piglet this morning, is there any swelling & is he still limping? Sometimes these things can go off overnight but if there's any doubt please book him into the vet's.

I only saw him for a minute to feed them because I have to get ready for work, but he seems like he still has a limp. Fortunately he is ok every with every other vital function, so I don't feel too bad about waiting until later to asess more thoroughly. If he is bad tonight he will go to the vet tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back