• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Pigs Getting Me In Debt, Any Help Would Be Really Appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
I have double glazing but the sealant really does need redone. That heater looks really good and the draft excluder at the door is a good idea, they have nice ones in home bargains for like a fiver, i'll buy one of those and the emergency blankets. :)

Heat lamps are quite expensive and i need something to heat the whole cage. Luna even though she obviously get's cold wont sit near the heat pads, so i assume she wouldn't sit under the bulb. I just out the pads in to try and warm the general area and hope for the best.

I'm with Scottish Power. :/

I can only add that my piggies have their own small oil filled radiator. ....I only heat the rooms I'm in and then only sparely.

It's amazing how much it can heat up their bit of the room and has a thermostat so won't waste heat. I don't know how much it costs to run but my heating bills didn't show any noticeable difference.

A thermometer is a good idea
How about a maximum minimum thermometer so you can see the lowest temperature it reaches.

I tend to use their ears and feet as quick and easy temperature checks!

@PiggyOwner I was gunna buy a little radiator, but people kept telling me that they cost an absolute fortune though and would be just as bad?

I bought a little heater fan but havn't used it because apparently they're just as expensive and i've been too scared to find out.
I have an electronic oil filled radiator. I have skinny boys and I have to keep their room temp at exactly 18-20 c

As it is thermostatic it turns off when reaches the temp and back on when it drops. They cost the equivalent of around 30p a day to run. My electric has not increased the whole of the last year and a half I've been doing this.

Only fan heaters or storage heaters cost a fortune :) for around 30-40 pounds you can pick one up. My boys are in exactly the same set up too.

Ahh quite a few suppliers have charitable grants available for people in fuel poverty, unfortunately Scottish Power is an odd one in that they will only fund charitable organisations and not individuals.

There is something called the Warm Home Discount which is a credit on the electric account of £140 over the winter period up until March 2016. Again Scottish Power are a bit slow and haven't opened up this years applications yet so I don't know what their exact criteria is. It's worth keep checking their website to see when it opens whether it is something you can claim.

In my experience I have never seen Scottish Power come out as a cheap company and I'm sure if you did a comparison you would find something much cheaper but given the level of the debt SP are likely to block you moving away. Is the debt fairly even between gas and electric or is it more on one account? Though you might lose the dual duel discount you may be able to save more money by moving one of your supplies early and just trying to reduce the debt on the other.

Whilst energy costs more through prepayment meters, they do make it easier to budget and not get into debt. The concern with this is that if there is no money on the meter and you have used the emergency credit already you will self disconnect. If you are out of the house for some hours and it self disconnects then Luna might get ill without you realising that they have no heating etc.

You could also contact Scottish Power for energy saving tips or an assessment which might give an idea on ways that you can save http://www.scottishpower.co.uk/energy-efficiency/energy-efficiency-at-home/ do you own the home or rent? If you're in private rent then maybe speak to your landlord about any outcomes that say that certain fittings could be changed for energy efficiency (these can reduce the landlords tax bill at the end of the year).

If you do want to look at switching this is the best website to look at http://www.goenergyshopping.co.uk/en-gb it's all been set up by Ofgem and shows only Ofgem approved comparison sites so should all be a bit more trustworthy.

If you have any questions or want to chat about it anymore feel free to pm me :)) I work for a charity providing personal money management/budgeting advice to social housing tenants so this is the kind of thing I go over on a day by day basis lol

Hi, very sorry to hear about your predicament.

In regards to Prepayment meters, I contacted British Gas about my electric one because for me it's a pain in the bottom, they told me that it's just the same cost for a prepayment as it is for direct debit, your best bet is to call your energy provider, ask about tariffs and ask if it would cost you any more to switch to a gas meter.

Also is your home social housing? If so maybe call them and tell them your home is always cold and that your windows need resealing and if your doors are rubbish, ask if someone can come out and look at them to see if they need replacing.

I used to use a long curtain on my draughty doors.

Can you get advice from an advice centre where you live? Sometimes the CAB can help.

(Sorry if this stuff has already been posted and you've sorted it, I haven't read all the replies due to my concentration being a bit bad).

PS - I don't think you can switch when you have a debt, the next company would probably be a bit funny about accepting you.

Check this link out

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/c...n-t-switch-energy-supplier-because-of-a-debt/

Last edited:
Sign up to Martins money tips website and look at his energy thread. I've signed up to this and it alerts me when diff suppliers have better deals to switch.

As ladykelly says alot do warm home discount and also duel fuel.

One thing I will say... For around a year I was approx 280 and 300 in debit with gas and electricity.... A few estimated bills as I don't let readers into my house.

I ended up paying nearly 180 a month until I used my sense to ring and give readings. Turned out they owed me over 500 pounds... And I got it back

If they do owe you they won't tell you as they like it sitting in their account making them interest.

The only discounts suppliers are allowed to give us for dual fuel, direct debit and online account management. So if you aren't on any of those you could save money immediately.

@Kerrie74 british gas have bent the truth a bit there. Prepayment meters usually cost the same as that suppliers standard tariff (without direct debit discount). Suppliers are only allowed to offer 5 tariffs at any one time so mostly prepayments are on a standard tariff (though there are a few fixed tariffs finally sneaking in). Out of the remaining credit meter tariffs standard will be the most expensive meaning people on prepayments do end up paying more than those able to access the cheaper deals. British Gas didn't lie but they were very selective in the facts that they used.

Thanks @Lady Kelly I really wanted to switch to DD with them.. I am actually on a fixed tariff on the electric but was wondering if I'd save paying via DD?

If you are currently on a prepayment meter then it will be down to whether they allow you to go back to a credit meter, generally involves a credit check and they will also consider your history with them. You will also need to check whether there is a cost involved as many suppliers will charge a fixed fee for installing a credit meter, on the plus side you could try and wangle it by requesting a smart meter at the same time, its worth trying to get them to waive the fee seeing as they would need to send someone out to fit a smart meter within the next few years anyway.

I think the fixed prepayment for British Gas is the fix & fall tariff which is the same cost as the standard tariff but if they drop their prices again yours are guaranteed to fall as well. If you are looking at going on direct debit you should get a discount and according to their website this is on average (for standard tariff customers) £43 for gas and £30 for electric but depends on the tariff you are on. The credit meter would then give you the option of 4 different tariffs - either standard or one of three different fixed tariffs.

I have double glazing but the sealant really does need redone. That heater looks really good and the draft excluder at the door is a good idea, they have nice ones in home bargains for like a fiver, i'll buy one of those and the emergency blankets. :)

Heat lamps are quite expensive and i need something to heat the whole cage. Luna even though she obviously get's cold wont sit near the heat pads, so i assume she wouldn't sit under the bulb. I just out the pads in to try and warm the general area and hope for the best.

I'm with Scottish Power. :/

Hi there sorry for jumping into your conversation but I see your having bother with Scottish power and you are looking into pre payment metres I can honestly say since moving into my flat which already had them installed they are great and I can keep track of how much gas and electricity I use as before I was direct debit with Scottish power I was £300 in debt within 3 months as they had me on the wrong tariff despite me saying I was in my first home and hadn't a clue how much energy I would use I only had electricity no gas supply and had storage heating. I was apprehensive about the pre payment meters but gave them a try since they were there and I wouldn't go back to direct debit as you don't get into debt with the pre payment metres. Hope this helps you even a little bit

£108 is what I'm actually using but i'm now paying £163 in gas and electricity from now to start paying off the £700 debt. I've had a few people check that i'm getting the best deal, and they all seem to think so, and i remember using an online comparison site when i switched to them and scottish power seemed to be the best.
This is ok for now, as long as i get the pigs sorted.
I was actually thinking about switching to the key meter after i had payed this off, i actually don't mind a slight increase in what i pay if it means i dont have to watch what I'm doing like a hawk and because i can keep an eye on how much money i have left, but if its drastically more expensive then i wont bother. I don't understand how the bill has got this high so quickly, It's only been a couple of months. Ive been sitting at the hospital all day yesterday and today & not had a chance to phone them back so i'm still just sitting worrying about it, lol.
@GloriousGuineaGirl would i have to ask them when i speak to them on the phone then? that would be lovely. lol

I did find this heater on amazon that i liked? it's only £31 after P&P.
I've also bought that silver insulation which ill put down tonight and an extra heat pad.

We had a really high electric meter reading a few years ago. We were (and still are ) with Scottish Power. We rang customer services and they were very helpful.

£108 is what I'm actually using but i'm now paying £163 in gas and electricity from now to start paying off the £700 debt. I've had a few people check that i'm getting the best deal, and they all seem to think so, and i remember using an online comparison site when i switched to them and scottish power seemed to be the best.
This is ok for now, as long as i get the pigs sorted.
I was actually thinking about switching to the key meter after i had payed this off, i actually don't mind a slight increase in what i pay if it means i dont have to watch what I'm doing like a hawk and because i can keep an eye on how much money i have left, but if its drastically more expensive then i wont bother. I don't understand how the bill has got this high so quickly, It's only been a couple of months. Ive been sitting at the hospital all day yesterday and today & not had a chance to phone them back so i'm still just sitting worrying about it, lol.
@GloriousGuineaGirl would i have to ask them when i speak to them on the phone then? that would be lovely. lol

I did find this heater on amazon that i liked? it's only £31 after P&P.
I've also bought that silver insulation which ill put down tonight and an extra heat pad.
Thats exactly the radiator I use :)

Also are you giving regular meter reads...? That is what was happening to me regarding the price I was paying but they were constantly estimating my bill it will say on your bill if they are doing it and if they are give them a read and if its over yes, ask them for a refund. By law they cannot refuse it x

Last edited:
Aw thats good, ill get this one then.

A guy comes out and reads the meter regularly. I'll ask nicely when I phone them, :tu: Fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back