• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Pink Coloured Poop

LillyB

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi
Need some advice please......does Watermelon turn the piggies poop pink? I gave some to my girls earlier and i have just looked in their cage and noticed that they had some poop in their foodbowl. It had lettuce in there and because I had washed the lettuce beforehand the poop had got damp and there was pink all around it.
We have checked the girls over and they are running around and eating as normal, the only thing we can think of is the watermelon. Thanks 😃

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi
Need some advice please......does Watermelon turn the piggies poop pink? I gave some to my girls earlier and i have just looked in their cage and noticed that they had some poop in their foodbowl. It had lettuce in there and because I had washed the lettuce beforehand the poop had got damp and there was pink all around it.
We have checked the girls over and they are running around and eating as normal, the only thing we can think of is the watermelon. Thanks 😃
Veg can discolour the poop - with beetroot it comes out purple for instance.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Poop is 1-2 days behind so think what you fed them then. And if you can post a photo that would be good.

LillyB

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Poop is 1-2 days behind so think what you fed them then. And if you can post a photo that would be good.
Thats a relief.....i gave them melon a couple of days ago too so it must be that. I will keep an eye on them (and the poop!) for a few days and will keep you updated! 😃
Thankyou x x

LillyB

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Veg can discolour the poop - with beetroot it comes out purple for instance.
Thankyou......such a relief to know! They certainly keep you on your toes! 😃 Love the to bits and feel I am constantly watching them and making sure they are ok! x x