• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Pinto being a silly little sausage.

Kellykels

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Pinto has a sore under her eye as when I got her she had lice and had scratched so much and hurt herself.

Her eye is healing up nicely after her course of antibiotics (baytrail) and topical eye ointment which is also antibiotic. (Isathal)
But the silly little bean keeps scratching it (because healing wounds are itchy) and catching the scab making the most heart breaking yelp everytime and reopening the wound.

I asked the vets advice yesterday as she had caught it about 3 times. We put her on the isathal again and now the metacam (hoping it will stop the swelling and the itch a little).

She caught it again this morning and I just want it to heal up at this point because she can't help following her instincts, she's a baby animal, if it itches, she will scratch it.

We're going to see our vet again on Saturday to top up the Xeno (lice treatment) so I'll have him take another look then. But for the most part it's healing up nicely, if only she would stop catching it.

Poor, silly little Pinto bean. ❤

This is a picture of the wound when it first started it has healed massively since then and the scab blends into her fur colour and it's much smaller so you can barely see it unless you really look and get close.
received_166979061687399.jpeg

Poor baby girl. 😢

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Pinto has a sore under her eye as when I got her she had lice and had scratched so much and hurt herself.

Her eye is healing up nicely after her course of antibiotics (baytrail) and topical eye ointment which is also antibiotic. (Isathal)
But the silly little bean keeps scratching it (because healing wounds are itchy) and catching the scab making the most heart breaking yelp everytime and reopening the wound.

I asked the vets advice yesterday as she had caught it about 3 times. We put her on the isathal again and now the metacam (hoping it will stop the swelling and the itch a little).

She caught it again this morning and I just want it to heal up at this point because she can't help following her instincts, she's a baby animal, if it itches, she will scratch it.

We're going to see our vet again on Saturday to top up the Xeno (lice treatment) so I'll have him take another look then. But for the most part it's healing up nicely, if only she would stop catching it.

Poor, silly little Pinto bean. ❤

This is a picture of the wound when it first started it has healed massively since then and the scab blends into her fur colour and it's much smaller so you can barely see it unless you really look and get close.
View attachment 159406

Poor baby girl. 😢
Hi!

Please don't home treat on spec and have the patch vet checked for potential ringworm. Be aware that if you home treat on spec, you will be wiping the crime, as far as the vet is concerned and will be making a proper diagnosis impossible. Ivermectin and antibiotics can temporarily suppress ringworm but not heal it. Please accept that we cannot (and are not qualified to) diagnose; we can only show up possible avenues to pursue with your vet based on our own experiences.

New guinea pigs: Sexing, vet checks&customer rights, URI, ringworm and parasites
Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

Kellykels

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi!

Please don't home treat on spec and have the patch vet checked for potential ringworm. Be aware that if you home treat on spec, you will be wiping the crime, as far as the vet is concerned and will be making a proper diagnosis impossible. Ivermectin and antibiotics can temporarily suppress ringworm but not heal it. Please accept that we cannot (and are not qualified to) diagnose; we can only show up possible avenues to pursue with your vet based on our own experiences.

New guinea pigs: Sexing, vet checks&customer rights, URI, ringworm and parasites
They have been treated by the vet and checked for ringworm. I took them in and the vet determined it is not ring worm and put them on the antibiotics.
I took them in and asked if it was ringworm when I first took them in. I honestly have been checking them every step of the way with the vet. They have been to the vet three times. Twice the routine vet and once the exotic vet who have all looked at it.
I got a phone consultation yesterday and asked if she should stay on the antibiotics as she keeps catching the scab. I would never just leave something when I know a vet could take care of it straight away. I want what is best for my animals.
They are going to the vet again on Saturday for the lice issue and I will ask again about ringworm, but honestly, I have been asking all the way through.
They don't think it's ringworm. If it is ringworm and they have been dismissing it I will be cross.
Thank you for taking the time to check I was doing things properly but I assure you I follow all your guides on the site.

What I meant by she 'caught' it 3 times I meant she has clawed it and knocked off the scab, to clarify.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
They have been treated by the vet and checked for ringworm. I took them in and the vet determined it is not ring worm and put them on the antibiotics.
I took them in and asked if it was ringworm when I first took them in. I honestly have been checking them every step of the way with the vet. They have been to the vet three times. Twice the routine vet and once the exotic vet who have all looked at it.
I got a phone consultation yesterday and asked if she should stay on the antibiotics as she keeps catching the scab. I would never just leave something when I know a vet could take care of it straight away. I want what is best for my animals.
They are going to the vet again on Saturday for the lice issue and I will ask again about ringworm, but honestly, I have been asking all the way through.
They don't think it's ringworm. If it is ringworm and they have been dismissing it I will be cross.
Thank you for taking the time to check I was doing things properly but I assure you I follow all your guides on the site.

What I meant by she 'caught' it 3 times I meant she has clawed it and knocked off the scab, to clarify.
it is impossible to say from your picture but the constant itching, the location and shape of the scab are classic for ringworm although the typical exudation crust will be suppressed.

Have a look at the ringworm pictures in the guide (last chapter). Be aware that the very early stages of ringworm are not always quite textbook (especially when they start out with scratching and scabbing) so misdiagnosing can happen by a vet who is not seeing a lot of it in guinea pigs. We do unfortunately see a LOT of it on here...
What you do NOT see in ringworm that is treated with ivermectin and/or antibiotics is the typical exudation crust. However ringworm will inevitably return once any treatment has worn off. :(

Kellykels

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
it is impossible to say from your picture but the constant itching, the location and shape of the scab are classic for ringworm although the typical exudation crust will be suppressed.

Have a look at the ringworm pictures in the guide (last chapter). Be aware that the very early stages of ringworm are not always quite textbook (especially when they start out with scratching and scabbing) so misdiagnosing can happen by a vet who is not seeing a lot of it in guinea pigs. We do unfortunately see a LOT of it on here...
I will check with the vet again when I see them, there is an appointment lined up. Thank you for the pictures I will have a look. I will try my best for my little girl and hope it will heal soon regardless of what it is. I will keep going with the eye ointment in the meantime as that what the vet has advised for now and take her in on Saturday with a fresh line of questioning. She has seen the exotic but I will take her the exotic again if need be.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I will check with the vet again when I see them, there is an appointment lined up. Thank you for the pictures I will have a look. I will try my best for my little girl and hope it will heal soon regardless of what it is. I will keep going with the eye ointment in the meantime as that what the vet has advised for now and take her in on Saturday with a fresh line of questioning. She has seen the exotic but I will take her the exotic again if need be.
All the best.

Kellykels

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I will get another pic of her and show you what she looks like now.
We're being overly hygienic anyway because I was worried if it was fungal to begin with because I know guineas are prone to fungal problems.
We are washing our hands thoroughly after handling to give her medicine and cleaning the fleeces and putting in antibacterial fluid after each wash (not with the fleeces I know that would be too much for the guineas delicate airways) to clear out the washing machine to ensure we have no spread of any nasties. Thank you for your help @Wiebke :)

Kellykels

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Pinto's eye is healing up nicely and her hair is starting to grow back in. I will get the vet to check it again when we see him tomorrow for the top up xeno.

Kellykels

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm still going to ask about ringworm again, I might ask for a culture. I don't want to think all is ok then Womble goes for his surgery and we have to deal with ringworm.